Triplets and note stops

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Scomo

Triplets and note stops

Postby Scomo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:48 pm

So in the wiki for triplets is says "There are several valid ways to insert triplets in your module..."

It then goes on to explain the Gxx method, which I get, but what are the other 'several' ways? I'm guessing one is to simply write as though a bar isn't 4 rows per quarter note (ergo 16 rows), but is some number divisible by 3 per quarter note? Easiest would be 6 rows per quarter note giving you 24 rows per bar?

Are there any other methods?

Also, what's the difference between using - to stop a note and = to stop a note?
There will forever be a special place in my heart for that 8-bit sound.

Dr. Merio

Re: Triplets and note stops

Postby Dr. Merio » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Scomo wrote:Also, what's the difference between using - to stop a note and = to stop a note?

- represents a note cut. It stops playing a note right away, while = represents a note release. You can define release sequences in your instruments using the / symbol like this:

15 / 12 9 6 3 0

Try putting this on your instrument's volume sequence, and then use a note release in the pattern editor (=). You'll notice the note will fade out instead of halting immediately. You can also define release sequences in all the other macros on instruments.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Scomo

Postby Scomo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Ah, thanks! I love this tool, but getting all the nuances down is a bit of a curve!
There will forever be a special place in my heart for that 8-bit sound.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:56 am

If you have a segment that seems to use triplets exclusively, one alternative to the Gxx method is to change your song's meter (with the Fxx command). For example, if your song runs at Speed 6 Tempo X and normally four rows per beat, you can change the Speed to 4 (F04) and write the segment using six rows per beat, or change the Speed to 8 (F08) and write the segment using three rows per beat.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:42 pm

One other option is to just create an instrument specifically for the triplets. Say you had an instrument with a volume sequence of "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0". Going at speed 6, 4 rows per quarter note, you'd make an instrument with volume "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0"

danooct1's cover of boss battle 2 from chrono trigger does this for the trumpet instrument
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Fun fact: The Gxx method also allows you to sometimes squeeze an extra note into a given row space.

For example, if your song has 4 rows per beat then your maximum note resolution is 16th notes but you can squeeze exactly one pair of 32nd notes into it without having to change your song's meter or resolution:

Code: Select all

(6 cycles per row)  (eqv. 3 cycles per row)
C-4 . .. ...        C-4 . .. ...
                    ... . .. ...
--- . .. ...        --- . .. ...
                    ... . .. ...
A-3 . .. G06        ... . .. ...
                    ... . .. ...
B-3 . .. G03        A-3 . .. ...
                    B-3 . .. ...

Likewise, it means you can squeeze exactly one set of triplets into two rows of timing, provided you have an empty row in front of it:

Code: Select all

(6 cycles per row)  (eqv. 3 cycles per row)
                    ... . .. ...
G-3 . .. G06        ... . .. ...
                    ... . .. ...
A-3 . .. G04        G-3 . .. ...
                    A-3 . .. G01
B-3 . .. G02        B-3 . .. G02
                    ... . .. ...

Xyz wrote:One other option is to just create an instrument specifically for the triplets. Say you had an instrument with a volume sequence of "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0". Going at speed 6, 4 rows per quarter note, you'd make an instrument with volume "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0"

A looped volume curve is also useful for creating drum rolls on the Noise channel.

Return to “General Talk”