What's the hardest song you've ever covered?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Highway Man

What's the hardest song you've ever covered?

Postby Highway Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 am

What's the hardest song you've covered (or attempted to cover) in Famitracker?
Say the title of the song, provide a link to it (or the cover that you did, if you did one) and say why you chose that one.
For me, I can't decide between the title theme to Turrican II or Impossamole. They're both really (REALLY) long, have intricate basslines and melodies, and I had no reference with them other than just listening by ear.
Das Geheimnis der Happy Hippo Insel was hard at first, but I discovered that the only hard part of it is the weird arp section near the beginning and the end (People who have covered the song know what I'm talking about.)
Turrican II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34SV8c6S-Sc
Impossamole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soF6t2kYzX8
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

Overlord99

Re: What's the hardest song you've ever covered?

Postby Overlord99 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 am

Kirby music in general is pretty tough because of the fast accompaniment and insane basslines. Lucky for me, I cover Kirby music all the time.

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:17 am

Overlord99 wrote:Kirby music in general is pretty tough because of the fast accompaniment and insane basslines. Lucky for me, I cover Kirby music all the time.

Yeah, I heard some of the Kirby's Adventure stuff on NES. Sounded really insane.
now known as pulsebot

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:22 am

Basically, some DAT ADAM songs I've covered, super fast hi hats or fast snares, ugh.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:33 am

• The Lost Emotion (Hopeless Masquerade): The bassline arpeggios are extremely difficult even to the trained ear. It is essentially non-repeating for the whole song and comes with automatic portamento, further obscured by the percussion notes.
  • Demystify Feast: Multiple soloing voices playing simultaneously, sometimes also independently.
  • Magus Night (Great Fairy Wars): Most instruments are fairly difficult to reproduce in any chip, and the mixing makes stereo separation less effective than expected. One of the reasons I had to remix that in Mega Man style is that I lacked experience three to four years ago.
Any song is at most tedious to cover, provided a dump of the source sequence material is available, never difficult.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:38 am

HertzDevil wrote:
  • The Lost Emotion (Hopeless Masquerade): The bassline arpeggios are extremely difficult even to the trained ear. It is essentially non-repeating for the whole song and comes with automatic portamento, further obscured by the percussion notes.
  • Demystify Feast: Multiple soloing voices playing simultaneously, sometimes also independently.
  • Magus Night (Great Fairy Wars): Most instruments are fairly difficult to reproduce in any chip, and the mixing makes stereo separation less effective than expected. One of the reasons I had to remix that in Mega Man style is that I lacked experience three to four years ago.
Any song is at most tedious to cover, provided a dump of the source sequence material is available, never difficult.

God damn, it seems alot of TouHou soundtracks are crazy like that. I could never see myself even coming close to covering those, until I can find some sheet music or something like that.
now known as pulsebot

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 am

Covering this was pretty involved (took me just over 8 hours of nonstop work – no piss breaks or lunch breaks – for barely 45 seconds of music), but I pulled it off, and just in time for the FCM9 submission deadline. This is the end result. The MML source contains some interesting commentary, too, if you're interested in those things.
Follow me on Twitter.

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:27 am

jrlepage wrote:Covering this was pretty involved (took me just over 8 hours of nonstop work – no piss breaks or lunch breaks – for barely 45 seconds of music), but I pulled it off, and just in time for the FCM9 submission deadline. This is the end result. The MML source contains some interesting commentary, too, if you're interested in those things.

Holy hot damn...that's some amazing stuff! How did you get 2 chipsets to play at the same time?
now known as pulsebot

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:30 am

Highway Man wrote:How did you get 2 chipsets to play at the same time?

I used ppMCK.
Follow me on Twitter.

RushJet1
Forum Staff

Postby RushJet1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:37 am

Return to “General Talk”