Low quality sound with lag.

Please post about bugs here.
Forum rules
When making a bug report, please try to be as specific as possible. Include information on how to reproduce the bug and an example file if possible.
If the application crashed, please include the generated memory dump file as well.
GWT

Low quality sound with lag.

Postby GWT » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm rather new to FamiTracker but it seems like I'm having some issues with the sound. The sound quality doesn't sound very good and there seems to be a delay between a not being played and sound being outputted. I tried increasing the buffer size but it wasn't working even at 500ms, in fact I got an error message saying to increase the sound buffer even when I set it to the maximum. The problem seems to persist regardless of what I set the sound buffer to. I'm running v0.4.6 on Windows 7 64bit.

ollaxe

Re: Low quality sound with lag.

Postby ollaxe » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:29 am

Your computer must be kinda old, right? I have an old notebook from 2010 that has a hard time handling famitracker unless I don't multitask at all, even at the lowest settings.

My way of fixing this was to hook up this external sound card my dad had lying around (one of those small boxes that you can use for recording stuff, you know) and its performance now matchers my newbuilt stationery PC (audio at least, the rest is far behind hehe).
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

GWT

Postby GWT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:06 am

ollaxe wrote:Your computer must be kinda old, right? I have an old notebook from 2010 that has a hard time handling famitracker unless I don't multitask at all, even at the lowest settings.

My way of fixing this was to hook up this external sound card my dad had lying around (one of those small boxes that you can use for recording stuff, you know) and its performance now matchers my newbuilt stationery PC (audio at least, the rest is far behind hehe).

My computer is actually fairly new and stationary and I see no reason why it would have trouble running FamiTracker.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:25 am

I'm having similar issues with 0.5.0 beta 5 on a new computer too so I'd like to know if there's a solution for this problem. Oddly enough, 0.4.6 (and 0CC) don't experience the same problem and they run fine at ~400ms.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

GWT

Postby GWT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:36 am

Dr. Merio wrote:I'm having similar issues with 0.5.0 beta 5 on a new computer too so I'd like to know if there's a solution for this problem. Oddly enough, 0.4.6 (and 0CC) don't experience the same problem and they run fine at ~400ms.

It's probably worth mentioning that the problem persisted when I tried to run beta 5.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Maybe Windows slows FT down because it's a 32-Bit App?
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:08 pm

8BitZtunerYT wrote:Maybe Windows slows FT down because it's a 32-Bit App?

8BitZtuner... That's not how computers work... :P

x64 (64 bit Intel or AMD processor) is completely backwards compatible with x86 (32 bit Intel or AMD processor) and the only noticable difference between them is that 64 bit can utilize more than 3 GB of ram.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:05 pm

Besides, FamiTracker can run on Windows 95 just fine. (Virtual Machines are rad btw.)
Anyways, if it's only the 0.5.0. beta, I'm sure jsr will fix the problem in the stable release, although I haven't had said issue with the sound in the beta...
...life.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

SamW

Postby SamW » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Consider actually lowering the sound buffer. My experience with FT has led me to believe you want as short a buffer as possible for best performance - I don't get any underruns when at 60-70ms, but when I dare put it at 90ms it underruns like mad.

If that doesn't work, though, it's probably a bug inside FT.
ym2612 extraordinaire, metal & edm producer, professional weeblord, head over heels for harumi

twitter
soundcloud
super famidev

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 pm

What the actual hell...

This actually worked. thank based samw
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Return to “Bug Reports”