The sound doesn't load at all.

Please post about bugs here.
Forum rules
When making a bug report, please try to be as specific as possible. Include information on how to reproduce the bug and an example file if possible.
If the application crashed, please include the generated memory dump file as well.
Applehack

The sound doesn't load at all.

Postby Applehack » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Just that i downloaded FamiTracker and I can't get any sound output out of it at all. Everytime I input notes nothing outputs. I already checked if it was hooked up to my sound driver (it was) and tried messing around with the settings, but nothing changed. Has anyone ever ran into this problem before? If so, how can i fix this problem? And yes, i did make an 2AO3 instrument and it just doesn't work.

Help? :oops:
A P P L E H A C K
THE GENETICALLY-MUTATED APPLE THAT PLAYS RETRO GAMES!

Stratelier

Re: The sound doesn't load at all.

Postby Stratelier » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Unfortunately the problem is too complex to simply say "I'm getting no sound", this is really something that needs an FAQ and flowchart developed to solve.

The first question to rule out - if you grab a random .FTM off the forums (like this one) and play it, you do get sound? Since you've already checked for an instrument definition I predict the answer is "no", which is good because then we can be certain it's a problem with your FT configuration and not specific songs individually.

So the second step is to review your FT configuration (File > Configuration). Things to look for here:
- On the MIDI tab, ensure you aren't outputting to a MIDI device (external synthesizer, etc.).
- On the Sound tab, check your sound device. It's usually "Primary Sound Driver" and this works for most people, but if you have more than one device listed try switching it and see if this makes a difference. If not, we can rule it out.
- Also on this tab there's a Volume slider, which should already be at a comfortable level. Then, on the Mixer tab each output channel should already be at a comfortable level too.
Last edited by Stratelier on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:34 pm

To add to Stratelier's second step:
- Ensure the Buffer Length slider in the Sound tab is set to a reasonable duration (~48ms). Too long and there will be input lag; too short and you will get no sound.

Applehack

Postby Applehack » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 pm

For the first step, i grabbed every .ftm i found and they don't work.

For the second step:
- I wasn't outputted to any MIDI device or stuff like that.
- I had Speakers (SRS Premium Sound) and Speakers (Realtek High-Definition Audio) other then Primary Sound. SRS doesn't work (just like the Primary) and Realtek crashes FamiTracker.
- It was a comfortable level... about 100%
-The buffer length was 42 ms.

Anything more i can do? :cry:
It still doesn't work.
A P P L E H A C K

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:24 am

Well, all those settings appear perfectly normal ... for a quick comparison, running FamiTracker on my HP laptop, I have the devices "Primary Sound Driver" and "Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio)" shown and both of them work fine --I have never experienced any problems.

The fact that FamiTracker crashed when you attempted to use the Realtek device makes me wonder if there's something wrong between FamiTracker's library calls and your actual sound driver. Now might be a good time to check the version of your sound driver, but beyond that ... we're basically at a dead end.

Applehack

Postby Applehack » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Wow, just another thing: whenever i save it as a WAV (using Create WAV...) it has no sound at all. Other WAV files work fine.
A P P L E H A C K

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Did you try other ftms?

Applehack

Postby Applehack » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:38 pm

^ I already said that i tried every single .FTM i ever found. -_-
A P P L E H A C K

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Applehack wrote:Wow, just another thing: whenever i save it as a WAV (using Create WAV...) it has no sound at all. Other WAV files work fine.

HertzDevil may be able to provide some technical insight here, but it actually sort of makes sense that if FT is having problems generating the sound output in real time this also means it can't export it to .WAV either.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 am

mess with the buffer length, increase it and decrease it until you get sound

otherwise your sound configuration might be bugged itself

Return to “Bug Reports”