Instruments become linked in editor

Please post about bugs here.
Forum rules
When making a bug report, please try to be as specific as possible. Include information on how to reproduce the bug and an example file if possible.
If the application crashed, please include the generated memory dump file as well.
ShrubRustle

Instruments become linked in editor

Postby ShrubRustle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:46 pm

This happens sometimes in vanilla FT (0.4.6) and even more egregiously in 00c (3.14.4) where two instruments will, inexplicably, become impossible to edit separately. They'll essentially be the same instrument, but with a different name, and if I try to change one, the other will change too, so it's like having just an extra copy of the same instrument. I don't know why this would be a feature, so I'm guessing it's some sort of memory storage bug or something.

It only happens in vanilla FT when I copy an instrument or copypaste any of its values directly to another instrument. Which means, if I want to make a new instrument with the same, say, envelope, I have to paste the values into some other program like sticky notes, then copy from there and paste into the new instrument.

In 00c (and i know this forum isn't about 00c or whatever, but still) it happens every. Single. Time. I create a new instrument. The new instrument and the previous one become linked, so I have to delete one and make a new one, and it's an absolute hassle.

Is there a way to fix this, or is it a known bug that just has to be fixed in the next patch?
I like to pretend I know what I'm doing. My SoundCloud

Shywolf

Re: Instruments become linked in editor

Postby Shywolf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:50 pm

seq.png
seq.png (4.42 KiB) Viewed 132 times

Pay attention to the sequence number of the various sequences (Volume/Arpeggio/Pitch/etc) in your instruments. If two instruments are set to sequence 0 for volume sequence, for example, their volume sequence will become "linked" in the way that you describe. Hit the "Select next empty slot" or manually increment/decrement the Sequence # value in one of the instruments yourself if you want to assign a unique sequence to it.

This does relate to memory storage managing, but is not a bug. For example, it becomes easier to save on filesize if multiple instruments that, by intention, use the same volume sequence only recall a single instance of that volume sequence from memory, rather than storing and recalling from multiple identical copies of it.

Return to “Bug Reports”