Buggy N163 and 5B NSF export

Please post about bugs here.
Forum rules
When making a bug report, please try to be as specific as possible. Include information on how to reproduce the bug and an example file if possible.
If the application crashed, please include the generated memory dump file as well.
Highway Man

Buggy N163 and 5B NSF export

Postby Highway Man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 pm

One thing I've noticed with FT, no matter what version I use, is that the N163 can completely screw up the NSF file when it does certain things.
First thing is when using the Vxx effect. Whenever I use it, it, for some reason, makes the noise channel sound...weird. Really weird. Another thing is when using the Sxx effect. Whenever it's used with the N163 channel, it screws up the Sxx effect in all the channels, creating a very jaded sounding song.

Another big problem is with the 5B export. The noise function of the 5B channels is completely shut off, making the 5B channels sound very bare. I at one point tried exporting an unfinished Earthworm Jim thing that I was doing and found that the export sounded very off.
Can someone explain all this to me?
Attachments
5b glitch.nsf
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
robocop n163.nsf
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

TheMudkipMaster12

Re: Buggy N163 and 5B NSF export

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:01 pm

I can add to the buggy 5B export. Exporting this FTM makes the envelope instrument "stutter" and have lots of popping sounds in it, which does get pretty annoying.
Attachments
Multi Man Smash 5B.nsf
Buggy NSF
(9.86 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Multi Man Smash 5B.ftm
FTM How it should sound
(12.29 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Highway Man wrote:Another big problem is with the 5B export. The noise function of the 5B channels is completely shut off, making the 5B channels sound very bare. I at one point tried exporting an unfinished Earthworm Jim thing that I was doing and found that the export sounded very off.
Can someone explain all this to me?

Which NSF player are you using? The noise seems OK in NSFplay 2.3 (though it's hard to say for sure without the FTM......)

Your Robocop cover also sounds OK in NSFPlay.

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:38 pm

That's very strange. Because Neither work well with Audio Overload or NSFLive.
I'll post a better example of the N163 debacle. It's an old (and crappy) cover of Area 5 of Das Geheimnis Der Happy Hippo Insel.
Attachments
dasgeheimnis.nsf
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
now known as pulsebot

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:53 pm

Highway Man wrote:Because Neither work well with Audio Overload or NSFLive.

5B and N163 support in NSFLive are listed on this page as "partial". Audio Overload isn't listed, but it definitely doesn't seem to support 5B noise, let alone the 5B envelope generator.

Really, unless someone else knows more, I think the problems you're having here are more because of the NSF players you're using rather than because of FT's exporter. I recommend you use NSFPlay 2.3 (or another player on that ^ page that supports everything you need) to play these NSFs.
Last edited by Shywolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:54 pm

My real question is why you have the 5B drums so loud because other than that there are no problems in NSFplay 2.3, NSFsynthesia, or real hardware.
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:57 pm

ImATrackMan wrote:My real question is why you have the 5B drums so loud because other than that there are no problems in NSFplay 2.3 or NSFsynthesia

I had them loud because I personally couldn't really hear them in the FTM or the NSF when played with NSFLive. (I could definitely hear them in AO, though.)
I'll try out NSFPlay and I'll see if it works. I suppose this might be a bug for the NSF player and not FT.
now known as pulsebot

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:19 am

Highway Man wrote:I'll try out NSFPlay and I'll see if it works.

Probably your best bet. I've done a few abusive things to the 5B and NSFplay could only not one handle one of them. rainwarrior's rewriting it now to fix that and maybe even adding an "emulate at clock rate" option.
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:40 am

TheMudkipMaster12 wrote:Exporting [Multi Man Smash 5B.ftm] makes the envelope instrument "stutter" and have lots of popping sounds in it, which does get pretty annoying.

This presumably happens because of the P8F effect; the B-7 note has a period register of 0xE, and P8F means that it will be subtracted by 0xF, which yields 0xFFFF. The NSF driver does not handle unsigned underflow right now, so the period value is clipped at 0xFFF, which corresponds to the note A-(-1). Changing the effect to P8E solves this problem (but does not fix the NSF driver, of course).

The OP's NSFs have no erroneous register writes.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:11 am

ImATrackMan wrote:
Highway Man wrote:I'll try out NSFPlay and I'll see if it works.

Probably your best bet. I've done a few abusive things to the 5B and NSFplay could only not one handle one of them. rainwarrior's rewriting it now to fix that and maybe even adding an "emulate at clock rate" option.

Yeah, I usually use NSFLive for recording NES soundtracks for soundtrack videos (you know, grad1u52 style) so I guess I'll wait until rainwarrior is done with rewriting it.
now known as pulsebot

Return to “Bug Reports”