vgm import/export

Post about feature requests here.
nitrofurano

vgm import/export

Postby nitrofurano » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:26 pm

would be really cool having vgm import/export as feature - how easily can this be implemented?
the great thing of vgm format is that its specification is strictly close to the nes-apu registers and values, so i guess it’s not that hard to be implemented?

Yung Gotenks

Re: vgm import/export

Postby Yung Gotenks » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:01 am

nitrofurano wrote:would be really cool having vgm import/export as feature - how easily can this be implemented?
the great thing of vgm format is that its specification is strictly close to the nes-apu registers and values, so i guess it’s not that hard to be implemented?

Wait, VGM Format is for NES too? I thought vgm was only for SEGA Games.
Fun fact: My username here is the same as my youtube channel!
Check it out.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 am

nitrofurano wrote:the great thing of vgm format is that its specification is strictly close to the nes-apu registers and values

it isn't tbh
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

nitrofurano

Postby nitrofurano » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Yung Gotenks wrote:
nitrofurano wrote:would be really cool having vgm import/export as feature - how easily can this be implemented?

Wait, VGM Format is for NES too? I thought vgm was only for SEGA Games.

it started as sega master system sound ripping format, but it now actually supports almost everything that uses sound processors! :D (a quite large range of arcade machines, 8bit/16bit consoles, home computers and handhelds) - from here you can see all sound chips supported up to now - http://vgmrips.net/packs/chips

HertzDevil wrote:
nitrofurano wrote:the great thing of vgm format is that its specification is strictly close to the nes-apu registers and values

it isn't tbh

so, please help improving and testing it! ;) (it is supposed to have from vgm a 100% accurate data information, since it stores data from registers )

TheJuanCarlos64

Postby TheJuanCarlos64 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:16 am

It Recommended NEZPlug VGM Mod. It Only Support YM2149F, FDS, YM2413 (VRC7).
MMC5 is not planning for DUAL NES APU.
It's me! JonKaruzu

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 am

nitrofurano wrote:(it is supposed to have from vgm a 100% accurate data information, since it stores data from registers )

It isn't. It always uses 44100 Hz as the refresh rate, ignores read/write delays, and adds its own bloated set of directives for streaming and DMA. The register-level loop point mechanism also makes VGMs useless for many things (dynamic channel mapping and desynchronized loops etc.). Playing music on a sound chip, especially compact music, is not the same as streaming data through say a Raspberry Pi.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

Return to “Feature Requests”