Pattern Loop Effect?

Post about feature requests here.
recme

Pattern Loop Effect?

Postby recme » Tue May 19, 2015 12:47 am

theres a feature like this in milkytracker by the name of the E6x effect, incase you wanted to repeat a measure/pattern so that less frames are used for repeating notes. a feature like this would be very useful in famitracker, considering that some video game music are repetitive and stuff.

a suggested name i have for this effect would be the Exx, but that effect is already taken. i see no reason why the Exx effect should still have volume. its pretty much defunct because of the whole volume column thats available.

James_S

Re: Pattern Loop Effect?

Postby James_S » Tue May 19, 2015 1:36 am

you could just copy the frame set so i don't see how this is useful but at the same time im not against this idea.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Tue May 19, 2015 1:39 am

One reason the E effect still exists is it allows an 8-bit parameter, which can be useful with the VRC6 channels (which offer 5-bit volume control but the volume channel only goes up to 4 bits).

I agree this can be useful in certain limited situations, but it really depends on the individual song's structure. On the other hand, I think a variation of the B effect which jumps to the specified frame then is ignored during the second pass could be more useful, because then you can create loops longer than just one frame.

Either way I don't think there's much actual need for this considering you can just manually repeat the patterns later (most songs are nowhere near long enough to hit FT's internal frame limit).

recme

Postby recme » Tue May 19, 2015 2:16 am

Stratelier wrote:Either way I don't think there's much actual need for this considering you can just manually repeat the patterns later (most songs are nowhere near long enough to hit FT's internal frame limit).

the same thing can be said for most effects. why create the 0xy/4xy/Axy effects when you can just make it yourself? sure, it'll take a while for every instrument you make, but it works just as well as the effects themselves, which make things easier.

those effects just make things more convenient, just like the new effect im requesting. i dont see any harm in adding it. the idea can be expanded a bit by making it similar to sheet music, with the 1st/2nd ending thing. Ex: http://i.stack.imgur.com/GmYB4.png

Return to “Feature Requests”