"Commentary" effect

Post about feature requests here.
Virus

"Commentary" effect

Postby Virus » Tue May 19, 2015 2:05 am

Hi, devs!
I want to request you to enable a "Commentary" effect, which doesn't alter the sound of any track but may be useful for keep some kind of notation, like time signatures and such, and is ignored in NSF compilation.
Currently I use G00 and F Triangle track Volume to keep Time Signature marking, but it would be useful if I can use, for example, two effect rows to write X07 X16 to remind myself that the following is a 7/16 part.
Working on an 8-bit cover of Scenes from a Memory. 9/12 songs finished.
Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuZTYgtqCBtWXOPimThjb94w4a1mPoZwZ

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Re: "Commentary" effect

Postby jrlepage » Tue May 19, 2015 3:48 am

Why not use the row highlight feature to keep track of time signature? For time signature chsnges you can always use separate patterns for extra beats.
Follow me on Twitter.

Virus

Postby Virus » Tue May 19, 2015 3:57 am

Sometimes I have to combine 16th with some quick 24th notes streams in other instruments, so I need to speed up the tempo and highlight doesn't work anymore for those cases.
Working on an 8-bit cover of Scenes from a Memory. 9/12 songs finished.
Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuZTYgtqCBtWXOPimThjb94w4a1mPoZwZ

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Tue May 19, 2015 5:31 am

What I do in those cases is slow the tempo back down an equal amount of frames for the subsequent row (e.g. F02 F04 F03 F03 F03 etc.).
Follow me on Twitter.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Wed May 20, 2015 1:43 am

When you need to change meter on the fly, there really is no easy way for FamiTracker to adjust its row highlight settings to compensate. After all, when you change speed/tempo, how is FamiTracker supposed to know whether you're intentionally switching tempo, or just changing the meter (while keeping the perceived tempo the same) ?

That being said, an option to specify row highlights on a per-frame/per-pattern basis (specifically for this reason) would be AWESOME to have at some point.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Wed May 20, 2015 3:33 am

A current workaround would be to use the defunct Exx effect
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Return to “Feature Requests”