"Custom" option for expansion sound

Post about feature requests here.
wispybowl

"Custom" option for expansion sound

Postby wispybowl » Thu May 21, 2015 3:57 am

Hey everyone. I was thinking it would be neat to be able to specify exactly what channels you want for your module. Like say you wanted 3 2a03 pulse channels, 7 triangles, 13 noise channels, 4 saw channels, and 378 FM channels. There could be some sort of menu put into the module properties window that would allow you to select exactly what you want. I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement but it would open up doors to all sorts of new songs and things. You could make a song entirely out of noise tracks if you wanted! I think this would be a pretty great feature to have, even if nsf export was not supported with it (which would make sense).
I have no signature.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Re: "Custom" option for expansion sound

Postby jrlepage » Thu May 21, 2015 4:47 am

Not gonna happen. Famitracker is a piece of software designed specifically to adhere to the NES/Famicom's limitations. What you're describing belongs to the realm of fantasy, which Famitracker is not designed to cater to. You'd be better off using something like OpenMPT for stuff like that.
Follow me on Twitter.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Thu May 21, 2015 4:50 am

This keeps coming up, and the answer is always more or less the same: FT will try to implement the FC/NES' sound hardware limitations and idiosyncracies, but nothing more, e.g. nothing that wouldn't work or be present on the real thing.

Besides, you could always use something like OpenMPT if you wanted 378 FM channels. It wouldn't be emulating some sound chip in the background, but would that really matter anymore at that point?

EDIT: Er, yeah, what jrlepage said.

jfbillingsley

Postby jfbillingsley » Thu May 21, 2015 5:22 am

Are there good VSTs that provide accurate emulation of the 2a03 and expansion chips that could be suggested whenever this topic comes up? I'm half tempted to take a crack at making some myself...

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Thu May 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Chipsounds is probably good enough for anyone.
Famitracker developer

jfbillingsley

Postby jfbillingsley » Thu May 28, 2015 7:42 am

Still early in development, but it does make sounds and a lot of those knobs and buttons do stuff!

I don't have a name for it yet.

MxTJpdy.png
MxTJpdy.png (26.54 KiB) Viewed 2865 times

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Thu May 28, 2015 11:34 am

I've also made a tracker looking like Famitracker, though it's is German. It supports custom waveforms (like N163):
Attachments
scr_rt1.png
scr_rt1.png (126.65 KiB) Viewed 2858 times

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Thu May 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Looks cool!
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu May 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Matt Montag's NES VST is decent, whereas Will Bedford's NES4L is literally the instrument editor from FamiTracker with built-in support for single-channel echo. One may also pay attention to FireTracker.

Also, although FamiTracker does not allow arbitrary creation of channels, it does have a dialog (ChannelMap.cpp, IDD_CHANNELS) that is supposed to pick channels and allow reordering of these added channels. Here is what the dialog looks like from 0.3.6 to 0.4.6:
This would allow, for example, one to have all pulse channels from 2A03, MMC5, and VRC6, then exclude the triangle, noise, DPCM, and VRC6 sawtooth channel from the current FTM; or include just the VRC6 channels and hide all 2A03 ones except noise (some of you use this kind of configuration to imitate the SID chip in FamiTracker); or add one N163 channel, plus the 5B, then hide triangle and DPCM for some "dual chip" configuration. Of course, there are also situations where one wants to group channels according to their function, e.g. lead, bass, percussion, chords etc. However, these combinations might complicate the NSF driver by requiring it to handle arbitrary channel combinations of both vanilla NSFs and multi-chip NSFs, the latter of which neither the official build nor 0CC-FamiTracker fully supports.

The HEADER block in the FTM format stores channel identifiers that are unused in the load routine. They are presumably there to store the channel order, but there is only one such set of indices so these might be gone if this channel map is to be individually allowed for each track in a FTM.
Last edited by HertzDevil on Thu May 28, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu May 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I guess an option to hide a selection of channels from view would solve the problem of having completely unused channels throughout a module, at least partially. But there's no way FamiTracker is ever going to allow users to enable "3 2a03 pulse channels, 7 triangles, 13 noise channels, 4 saw channels, and 378 FM channels", which is what OP was asking.
Follow me on Twitter.