Make Q/R effects stackable

Post about feature requests here.
Stratelier

Make Q/R effects stackable

Postby Stratelier » Fri May 22, 2015 2:22 am

One of the limits with note slides is the distance parameter being limited to 4 bits. Sure, 15 steps in either direction is usually enough, but sometimes I actually hit those rare outlier cases where it's not.

So: If you specify more than one Q (or R) effect in the same row, let their slide distances be summed together.

Currently you can stack multiple Q or R effects already -- but only if you place them on separate rows. (Doesn't matter whether the first slide is complete before you issue the second one or not.)

jsr
Site Admin

Re: Make Q/R effects stackable

Postby jsr » Sat May 23, 2015 11:20 am

This should be possible to add with only minor edits, I'll check that.

But is it a problem having to split the effects between several rows though?
Famitracker developer

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun May 24, 2015 2:54 am

jsr wrote:But is it a problem having to split the effects between several rows though?

Not really (depends on whatever else the channel is doing at the time, which is usually not much), just a matter of mental organization.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sun May 24, 2015 6:18 am

for something that wide, is there any reason to not just place the target note one row below and use a 3xx on it?
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun May 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Xyz wrote:for something that wide, is there any reason to not just place the target note one row below and use a 3xx on it?

Because 3xx requires issuing a new note (i.e. retriggers volume envelopes, etc.) and is a persistent effect you have to explicitly switch off after?

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sun May 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Stratelier wrote:
Xyz wrote:for something that wide, is there any reason to not just place the target note one row below and use a 3xx on it?

Because 3xx requires issuing a new note (i.e. retriggers volume envelopes, etc.) and is a persistent effect you have to explicitly switch off after?

Then use a blank instrument, and turn off the effect after.

Why would that be so difficult for you now?

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sun May 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Because the use of 3xx leads to such awkward constructions as the ones shown in the attached FTM to almost replicate the same output that could have been achieved by allowing multiple Qxy/Rxy effects on the same row instead of processing only the last such command, possibly by calling CChannelHandler::SetupSlide for each occurrence of the portamento effect in the note data, and in the NSF driver calling a portion of ft_load_slide as soon as any of the portamento command is encountered. (However, the portamento speed does not need to stack just as it currently doesn't if portamento effects are issued on different rows.)

Note: In FamiTracker any custom engine speed forces the two 2A03 pulse channels to reset the phase simultaneously; hence, if pulse 1 and pulse 2 produce the exactly same output, except that one channel uses 25% duty and the other 75%, destructive interference will render the two channels silent if mixed together. The attached FTM demonstrates this for the most part.
Attachments
3xx_qxy.ftm
(859 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun May 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Threxx wrote:Then use a blank instrument, and turn off the effect after.

Not difficult, just annoying. I have a tendency to make edits while playing the song or otherwise jump the playback from one segment to a different one, so it's actually very desirable not activating a persistent effect if I don't strictly need to.

Besides, you can't exactly do a portamento at the start of a note like you can with Q and R. Yes they perform basically the same underlying thing but the differences in their respective executions are important and useful. (On an aside, one tiny gripe I have about Q/R/pitchbends is they occur at the start of the engine cycle when I would sometimes like them to wait an engine cycle before kicking in. There is no simple way of working around this at all.)

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Mon May 25, 2015 12:20 am

Stratelier wrote:
Threxx wrote:Then use a blank instrument, and turn off the effect after.

Not difficult, just annoying. I have a tendency to make edits while playing the song or otherwise jump the playback from one segment to a different one, so it's actually very desirable not activating a persistent effect if I don't strictly need to.

Besides, you can't exactly do a portamento at the start of a note like you can with Q and R. Yes they perform basically the same underlying thing but the differences in their respective executions are important and useful. (On an aside, one tiny gripe I have about Q/R/pitchbends is they occur at the start of the engine cycle when I would sometimes like them to wait an engine cycle before kicking in. There is no simple way of working around this at all.)

It seems all you have is gripes...

I've attached an FTM with three examples of any possible situations that could occur based on your request. All doable with the tools we currently have. It's called monitoring your effects to make sure everything is cancelled when it needs to be. The tracker does not need to account for your laziness.
Attachments
portaexample.ftm
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 am

That FTM contributes nothing to this request at all provided the desired note offset in the portamento effects does not exceed 15 semitones as stated in the original post. (Also Qxy and Rxy effects automatically cancel 3xx but that is not the most important issue in that FTM.)
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Return to “Feature Requests”