Make Q/R effects stackable

Post about feature requests here.
Dr. Merio

Re: Make Q/R effects stackable

Postby Dr. Merio » Mon May 25, 2015 12:25 am

There's something called Fxx. Use it. You can potentially work around everything you described using that effect to switch to a higher speed and then immediately switch back to normal.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Mon May 25, 2015 12:28 am

HertzDevil wrote:That FTM contributes nothing to this request at all provided the desired note offset in the portamento effects does not exceed 15 semitones as stated in the original post. (Also Qxy and Rxy effects automatically cancel 3xx but that is not the most important issue in that FTM.)

Adjusted the FTM. My point still stands; this does not require modification of the current behavior of Qxy/Rxy simply becuase Stratelier is too lazy to cancel his 3xx effects (which is fairly simple considering all pitch bend based effects cancel each other anyway)
Attachments
portaexample.ftm
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Mon May 25, 2015 12:38 am

ITT: OP persists in trying to turn this software into StratelierTracker.
Follow me on Twitter.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Mon May 25, 2015 12:41 am

jrlepage wrote:ITT: OP persists in trying to turn this software into StratelierTracker.

At this point considering all the "gripes" he has with the program he might as well put in the effort to make his own fork.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Mon May 25, 2015 12:44 am

Dr. Merio wrote:There's something called Fxx. Use it.

Usually this will disrupt all channels because their row indices are tied together; FamiTracker does not allow each track to use its own speed value.

On the other hand Gxx works without altering the global state, and the following two pattern data are equivalent for standard BPM, provided instrument 00 is blank and row 02 is empty outside this channel:

Code: Select all

00 | C-3 00 - G06 ---      --- -- - --- ---
01 | E-5 00 - G01 305      C-3 00 - F01 ---
02 | --- -- - --- ---      E-5 00 - F0B 305
03 | --- -- - --- ---      --- -- - F06 ---

Given instrument 01 which uses a pitch sequence of {5}, the following pattern data is also equivalent to the two above:

00 | --- -- - ---
01 | C-3 01 - Q2F
02 | E-5 00 - 305

In particular the following two pattern data also turn out to be identical despite the lack of use of instrument 00 in the second sample:

00 | C-3 00 - G06 ---      --- -- - ---
01 | D-4 00 - G01 305      C-3 01 - Q2E

This is probably unintended behaviour since pitch effects may not be supposed to cancel out pitch sequences.

The OP has due rights to turn this software into whatever he desires to call so long as he follows the terms of the GNU GPL License.
Last edited by HertzDevil on Mon May 25, 2015 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Mon May 25, 2015 12:45 am

Dr. Merio wrote:There's something called Fxx. Use it. You can potentially work around everything you described using that effect to switch to a higher speed and then immediately switch back to normal.

I'm aware of that, but have yet to encounter a situation where it's less trouble to score than it is worth.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Mon May 25, 2015 12:50 am

Stratelier wrote:
Dr. Merio wrote:There's something called Fxx. Use it. You can potentially work around everything you described using that effect to switch to a higher speed and then immediately switch back to normal.

I'm aware of that, but have yet to encounter a situation where it's less trouble to score than it is worth.

HertzDevil's solution in the above post is probably the best one provided in this thread. Considering I've seen you shown apprehensiveness to using the Gxx effect, I think that it is about time you learn.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Mon May 25, 2015 1:03 am

Threxx wrote:HertzDevil's solution in the above post is probably the best one provided in this thread. Considering I've seen you shown apprehensiveness to using the Gxx effect, I think that it is about time you learn.

Actually, I routinely use full-row-length Gxx to do things like squeeze triplets into half-beats. It would be awesome if there was a cleaner alternative ... but there just isn't. And I always seem to have the extra free row available to do it anyway.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Mon May 25, 2015 1:11 am

Awesome for you, perhaps. The majority of us are quite happy to make do with the tools the tracker already provides us.
Follow me on Twitter.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Mon May 25, 2015 1:23 am

jrlepage wrote:Awesome for you, perhaps. The majority of us are quite happy to make do with the tools the tracker already provides us.

In the specific case of trying to squeeze a few spot notes/effects in at higher than current song resolution, I've had precisely just one song where that became any actual problem. The sequence consisted entirely of sixteenth notes (with some pairs of 32nd notes squeezed in). There were no empty rows to Gxx the notes in advance, and although I initially did some Fxx tricks to adjust the note resolution on demand, I didn't like the adjustments I had to make elsewhere to compensate for its presence. In the end I ultimately threw the attempt out wholesale and started that segment over from scratch.

Return to “Feature Requests”