NSFPlay Synthesia-like Playback Option

Post about feature requests here.
aishi

NSFPlay Synthesia-like Playback Option

Postby aishi » Fri May 22, 2015 11:00 am

I find it really helpful to visualize music in the NSFPlay Synthesia add-on by Patashu. Could there be some way to incorporate this into FT? I could always just export the NSF and load it in the program, but it would be great if there were some way to see this instantly live alongside the tracker.

Stratelier

Re: NSFPlay Synthesia-like Playback Option

Postby Stratelier » Fri May 22, 2015 1:08 pm

As much as it would be cool to see a full-blown visualizer built in to the UI, that's a little out of scope for FamiTracker itself. :( The closest thing we have (as of 0.4.6) is a debugging view called "display register state" in the Tracking menu.

///CH3DD4R/_

Postby ///CH3DD4R/_ » Fri May 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Dangit, I'm still back in 0.4.2. I want this now.

But yeah, Famitracker's scope needs to not get much bigger than it is: It's for easy composing of music on the 2A03 chip and it's most popular expansions. It's not a music player. It's not a visualizer. I feel like this could bring up the NSF COMPILER NOT TRACKER conversation again, though.
int main() {
}

retrodpc

Postby retrodpc » Fri May 22, 2015 5:40 pm

But... I got no scope...

*shot*
Don't copypasta Quotes

my sondclop

aishi

Postby aishi » Fri May 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Hmm, if not within the UI, is there some way to modify an outside NSF keyboard visualizer to receive data from FT to play back? This would be profoundly helpful for me and I'm sure others in a big way since upon playback it is hard to see which notes are being played by in which channel as the letters and numbers are zipping by.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat May 23, 2015 12:40 am

///CH3DD4R/_ wrote:But yeah, Famitracker's scope needs to not get much bigger than it is: It's for easy composing of music on the 2A03 chip and it's most popular expansions. It's not a music player. It's not a visualizer.

Famiplayer on the other hand, IS a music player
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sat May 23, 2015 2:05 am

Y'know, what could be really cool is if FamiTracker had some kind of plug-in system so that other people could simply code their own visualizers and you can drop (onto a designated UI space) whichever one you want to use. Of course, the major nightmare would be jsr having to build the framework and specifications to support all that....

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 am

Well it is open-source so all the framework is there already, kind of. If anyone wants to write a visualizer then I sure can include that.

aishi wrote:Hmm, if not within the UI, is there some way to modify an outside NSF keyboard visualizer to receive data from FT to play back? This would be profoundly helpful for me and I'm sure others in a big way since upon playback it is hard to see which notes are being played by in which channel as the letters and numbers are zipping by.

If you can find some kind of MIDI visualizer then it's always possible to use MIDI commands sent from famitracker. The timing might be a problem though.
Famitracker developer

///CH3DD4R/_

Postby ///CH3DD4R/_ » Sat May 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Xyz wrote:
///CH3DD4R/_ wrote:But yeah, Famitracker's scope needs to not get much bigger than it is: It's for easy composing of music on the 2A03 chip and it's most popular expansions. It's not a music player. It's not a visualizer.

Famiplayer on the other hand, IS a music player

Yeah, I have Famiplayer. I prefer it when listen to music because my PC sucks and can't support both a TEXT EDITOR and FAMITRACKER running without the occasional hiccup. I have the buffer length set at 500 to try and avoid lag.

Stratelier wrote:Y'know, what could be really cool is if FamiTracker had some kind of plug-in system so that other people could simply code their own visualizers and you can drop (onto a designated UI space) whichever one you want to use. Of course, the major nightmare would be jsr having to build the framework and specifications to support all that....

Yeah, that would be freaking awesome, but also a huge pain for jsr. Honestly, I'm happy with the way it is, and if I REALLY would like something else, I'll program it myself. jsr's got enough on his hands with FT as it is.
int main() {
}

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sat May 23, 2015 6:44 pm

It is not that difficult if one uses existing scripting languages instead of having to build a specific lexer plus parser; Lua (LuaSDL/Love) and Python (PySDL/PyGame) both work great with this respect. The script interface only needs to expose certain methods already present in the source code, such as instrument manipulation or pattern generation, and define a few other constants for faster lookup in the scripting language. Allowing scripts to show up in various places throughout the interface (cf. Renoise) is a cumbersome process, but even one menu tab showing all scripts available should do fine for FamiTracker's simple GUI.

It also gives FamiTracker opportunity for a script console window, which looks cool.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker