5B Envelope Frequency Table

Post about feature requests here.
Zaalan3

5B Envelope Frequency Table

Postby Zaalan3 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 am

I mean seriously I dont understand why we can't just have a frequency table for this thing. I hate having to memorize hex numbers or having to consult a table just to make the frequency I want. It's also annoying since you don't get immidiate audio feedback. Adding an envelope option to the 5B's mode/noise box would also be nice.

HertzDevil

Re: 5B Envelope Frequency Table

Postby HertzDevil » Sun May 24, 2015 1:59 am

On 0.5.0 beta, use the HFx effect with any 5B instrument. For the purpose of using the exponential triangle/sawtooth shape, the instrument should not use the square output (otherwise one would be using a frequency-controlled volume envelope). HEx lowers it by an octave, HDx by another octave, and so on. You don't need to consult a frequency table at all unless you want to fine-tune the modulation rate, but auto envelope supports the Pxx effect. In fact auto envelope will simply use the current channel frequency, and then perform an appropriate bit shift and use the result as the modulation rate.

The first parameter should have been called "octave" instead of "auto speed" or whatever it is called right now.

0CC-FamiTracker uses bit 5 of the noise/mode sequence to enable the modulated output, which also allows one to turn the modulation on and off per note trigger, without issuing H00 effects in the middle of every note; but has no octave-controlled auto envelope, at least not until 0.5.0 stable comes out. Either way the modulation rate has low precision so you need to play the current row to hear whether the octave-controlled frequency sounds too detuned.
Last edited by HertzDevil on Sun May 24, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Zaalan3

Re: 5B Envelope Frequency Table

Postby Zaalan3 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:37 am

Thank you for clarifying I was unaware the 0.5.0 build had auto envelope. That descripton was very confusing and I assumed it worked the same way
as 0cc with a different implementation.

But auto envelope in 0cc would still be super useful tho for lazy people like me

Return to “Feature Requests”