DPCM "Pitch Envelopes"

Post about feature requests here.
KungFuFurby

DPCM "Pitch Envelopes"

Postby KungFuFurby » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:28 am

I'm getting rather curious about a feature that I've been cashing in on IT2NSF. I can pull off a mean DPCM kick for cheap memory on IT2NSF thanks to its pitch envelope feature (actually executed via "duty" due to limited precision, and noise is handled in the same category, meaning DPCM could use a similar feature that affects pitch like noise does), as I can just simply use a 17-byte sample and produce a simple waveform with a lot of volume to it (and the resulting pitch is a bonus). I use this trick in some of my NES songs, one of them being my Famicompo Pico 2015 entry (at 3:08): https://ucollective.org/audio/KungFuFur ... ignal+nes/

This could also be translated into a DPCM envelope feature that handles both samples and pitch at the same time (I would just simply duplicate the sample and pitch IDs), if we're going on a per-slot basis, based off of how this is set up: http://famitracker.com/wiki/index.php?t ... w_DPCM.png

za909

Re: DPCM "Pitch Envelopes"

Postby za909 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:34 am

Magician uses this technique to get it's kick drum from a fairly basic standard kick, though it lowers the pitch over time as this single sample is being played and does not rely on small sample segments. Actually even a few DPCM arps (like octave arps with pitches $C and $F) could be achievable this way, that is if the pitch changes really CAN occur without having to restart the sample.

kulor

Re: DPCM "Pitch Envelopes"

Postby kulor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:58 pm

I think this would be a really useful feature =O

za909 wrote:Actually even a few DPCM arps (like octave arps with pitches $C and $F) could be achievable this way, that is if the pitch changes really CAN occur without having to restart the sample.

They can, you can already do it with Wxx. Used this for the last note in my fcpico15 entry The Recovery: download/file.php?id=3836

Return to “Feature Requests”