Display effect state

Post about feature requests here.
Stratelier

Display effect state

Postby Stratelier » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:35 pm

You know the menu option to display the register states while a song is playing?

I'd like to see a similar option to display the effect state on each channel (vibrato, arp, etc.) while the song is playing.

///CH3DD4R/_

Re: Display effect state

Postby ///CH3DD4R/_ » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:02 am

I can see how this would be useful for quickly determining if an effect was never canceled, but on the other hand, you SHOULD be able to hear the problem, and this seems like it could be a bit too difficult to add to justify the end result. Just my opinion.
int main() {
}

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 pm

There is no "effect state" display because while register states are actual, tangible values that can be read from the 2A03, Famitracker effects are purely software-based (i.e. they're algorithms which allow for Famitracker to control 2A03 register values), and it wouldn't really make sense to include that alongside real data.
Follow me on Twitter.

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:38 pm

Perhaps not as part of the register display, but certainly as a separate option.

The only reason it hasn't been added so far is because I haven't figured out a good way to present it visually. The option to display it to the right of the pattern editor (as the register display) is possible, but not optimal since it won't be visible in all cases.
Famitracker developer

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:58 am

jrlepage wrote:There is no "effect state" display because while register states are actual, tangible values that can be read from the 2A03, Famitracker effects are purely software-based (i.e. they're algorithms which allow for Famitracker to control 2A03 register values)...

I am already aware of that.

jsr wrote:The only reason it hasn't been added so far is because I haven't figured out a good way to present it visually. The option to display it to the right of the pattern editor (as the register display) is possible, but not optimal since it won't be visible in all cases.

A somewhat more radical option could be to shrink the pattern editor by a few rows and use the extra space to display that information below its relevant channels.

Modus Ponens

Postby Modus Ponens » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:46 am

I support this radical notion.
Socrates is a man.
All men are mortal.
Therefore, all men are Socrates.

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Stratelier wrote:A somewhat more radical option could be to shrink the pattern editor by a few rows and use the extra space to display that information below its relevant channels.

I'll start working on something like that.
Famitracker developer

Xiphos2000

Postby Xiphos2000 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:25 am

Seems like a pretty cool idea. I'd like to see how it would look.
Just a guy who has no idea what he's talking about, no idea what he's doing, and happens to use this software. Poorly.

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Fri May 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Right now something like this:
effects.png
effects.png (15.99 KiB) Viewed 2767 times

Effects are displayed as names instead of effect letters. Pitch & volume info is also included.

Let me know what you think!
Famitracker developer

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri May 08, 2015 7:32 pm

I think that looks pretty good. Perhaps an indication of what the "6, 2" next to "Vibrato" means would be useful. Maybe a plus sign (+) next to the "Fine pitch" to make it more evident that it's positive would be good.
Follow me on Twitter.

Return to “Feature Requests”