Let Noise channel use fixed octaves

Post about feature requests here.
Stratelier

Let Noise channel use fixed octaves

Postby Stratelier » Sun May 31, 2015 5:33 pm

Bumping an old suggestion... the most annoying thing about inputting notes on the Noise channel is the note you get depends on your current octave -- when you want to strike a specific note you generally (depending on whatever octave you're at) have to hit random keys until you find the right one. Not good for either the learning curve or the workflow.

There should be an option to ignore the current octave while inside the Noise channel -- ZSXDC always maps to 01234-#, Q@W#E always maps to CDEF0-#, etc.

Threxx

Re: Let Noise channel use fixed octaves

Postby Threxx » Sun May 31, 2015 10:25 pm

...Or, you could do what I did.

Memorize the noise layout at whatever octave you tend to use the most (so i memorized the top row layout @ octave 3) and just go to that octave whenever you want to place noise down.

It's not that hard. Once again, the tracker does not need to account for your laziness.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sun May 31, 2015 11:03 pm

The noise pitches should be optionally assigned to the hexadecimal digits themselves; 0 gives 0-#, 1 gives 1-#, A gives A-#, and so on, unless one already assigned A or F to other hotkeys. If such option exists, They should not even be bound to the current keyboard layout, as the ModPlug Tracker style alters the key mapping for that as well.

Whichever actual note was inputted (e.g. choosing between C#2, F-3, A-4) is not important in most cases, but the FamiTracker driver does use the underlying note value in all cases; a relative arpeggio sequence like {| -1} will show their differences, so sometimes it is preferable to know the exact octave each noise pitch corresponds. (provided bugs do not exist, 0CC-FamiTracker uses extra code to ignore the intrinsic octave and note value so that noise notes sharing the same pitch shall behave identically.)

As a side note, I own a MIDI controller with 4x4 drum pads; on the noise channel pressing these pads does not send the noise notes at the "correct" octave (the four rows from the bottom start with C-#, 0-#, 4-#, 8-# from the left).

FamiTracker has unused code that expands the noise range so that multiple consecutive notes correspond to the same pitch (but it is a bad idea since one then has to change many octaves when alternating between those pitches). And no, I do not believe this thread renders the OP as the sole person being "lazy" w.r.t. the noise note mappings.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

recme

Postby recme » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 am

im in for this. i dont see how this is lazy in the slightest, given that shortcuts are present in famitracker, which makes things easier...

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:55 am

That first suggestion will not at all work for me since I'm always around many different octaves depending on what part I'm writing. There is no "most used octave" in my workflow
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:32 am

Xyz wrote:There is no "most used octave" in my workflow

Nor mine. One song may have a melody in octave 5, harmony around octave 3 and bass in octave 2, while another song has melody and harmony in octave 4 and bass in octave 3. Or maybe I'm using Triangle as a lead so it's in octave 5 for a change.

HertzDevil wrote:The noise pitches should be optionally assigned to the hexadecimal digits themselves; 0 gives 0-#, 1 gives 1-#, A gives A-#, and so on, unless one already assigned A or F to other hotkeys.

I like that version too. In fact, I like it even better.

Whichever actual note was inputted (e.g. choosing between C#2, F-3, A-4) is not important in most cases, but the FamiTracker driver does use the underlying note value in all cases; a relative arpeggio sequence like {| -1} will show their differences, so sometimes it is preferable to know the exact octave each noise pitch corresponds. (provided bugs do not exist, 0CC-FamiTracker uses extra code to ignore the intrinsic octave and note value so that noise notes sharing the same pitch shall behave identically.)

Things can get pretty weird in cases like this. If you pitchbend a noise note down then it stops at 0-#, but if you pitchbend it up it loops. If you do an arp like that then the noise note may either stop at the end of its range or loop, but which one exactly is hard to predict.

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Stratelier wrote:Bumping an old suggestion... the most annoying thing about inputting notes on the Noise channel is the note you get depends on your current octave -- when you want to strike a specific note you generally (depending on whatever octave you're at) have to hit random keys until you find the right one. Not good for either the learning curve or the workflow.

There should be an option to ignore the current octave while inside the Noise channel -- ZSXDC always maps to 01234-#, Q@W#E always maps to CDEF0-#, etc.

I don't remember seeing this suggestion before, but yeah it's a good idea. I'll fix it.
Famitracker developer

Return to “Feature Requests”