"Make uniqune" for patterns/frames

Post about feature requests here.
Baka94

"Make uniqune" for patterns/frames

Postby Baka94 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 am

Similarly to FL Studio, I think it would be really useful for FamiTracker to have an option to make selected pattern(s) unique. The 3 main features I would like to see:
1. Make selected channel(s) in current frame unique. The way to define would be either the "focused" channel or channels that are included inside the selection box.
2. Make current frame unique (or frames if you have selected multiple frames in the frame editor section). This applies to all channels regardless of what channels are selected.
3. Paste as unique. This would apply when you copy/paste frame(s) in the frame editor section.

EDIT: Fixed some derps where I called frames patterns
Last edited by Baka94 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stratelier

Re: "Make uniqune" for patterns

Postby Stratelier » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:54 pm

So basically an unmerge/duplicate specified pattern ID on a specified channel(s). Total support here :) This is a really common operation when you're trying to establish repetition of reprises, and the only acceptable method currently is a manual copy/paste from the original pattern to the new frame (after having set the pattern ID appropriately).

Also, we currently do have a "paste & duplicate" function in the Frame Editor which effectively does #3, though this is a "deep paste" in the sense that if you've copied sections that share the same patterns then the pasted version will duplicate them not only from the original but also from each other (and whether this is desirable varies).

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm

A pattern in FL Studio is more or less same as a frame in FamiTracker rather than a pattern, so some of these options are hard to understand.

1. One could take the code for the Clone Pattern command from 0CC-FamiTracker (see ACT_DUPLICATE_CURRENT here). The frame editor has no knowledge of the pattern editor's current selection, so a separate setter method in CFrameAction might be needed to support the action for multiple patterns.
  2. This is confusing, unless you mean frames, because duplicating each frame manually then deleting old ones would take a lot more commands. This could be seen as a special case of the first one where the selection must span entire frames.
  3. Just copy and paste the frames as usual, then use your second suggestion to make them unique; that single extra step does not warrant a separate menu command in my opinion. I am not even going to consider this for FamiTracker patterns.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 pm

The way I'm interpreting #2 we already have that -- in the frame editor just right-click a given frame (any channel) and select "duplicate patterns" to clone all channels of that frame into empty pattern IDs.

If that's a given, then #1 is similar except it only affects the focused channel in that frame. We have no option for this currently except select all data from the desired channel and copy, then manually set its pattern ID and paste back in.

Baka94

Postby Baka94 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:19 pm

HertzDevil wrote:A pattern in FL Studio is more or less same as a frame in FamiTracker rather than a pattern, so some of these options are hard to understand.

Fixed the original post. I just had a bit of a derp, but frames were what I meant most of the time.

HertzDevil wrote:
  1. The frame editor has no knowledge of the pattern editor's current selection, so a separate setter method in CFrameAction might be needed to support the action for multiple patterns.

I would imagine that you would set this up by having the frame editor "request" information on what channels are selected. Then the pattern editor checks the selection and returns the selected channels to the frame editor.

[quote="HertzDevil"
[list=1]
[*]This is confusing, unless you mean frames, because duplicating each frame manually then deleting old ones would take a lot more commands. This could be seen as a special case of the first one where the selection must span entire frames.
[/list][/quote]

Yes, frames were what I meant. The advantage on this one over the first one is if you want to make multiple frames unique at once, so you don't have to make all of them unique separately.

Return to “Feature Requests”