organize N163 waves

Post about feature requests here.
Roflo

organize N163 waves

Postby Roflo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Would it be possible to place a tab-menu in the wave editor of the N163 instrument editor instead of the simple number box, so when switching between the waves just the appropriate tab has to be clicked?

ollaxe

Re: organize N163 waves

Postby ollaxe » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:50 pm

This would be very nice, but it would also take up a lot of space... So I'm all for this if jsr can fit it into the small instrument-editing window.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

jfbillingsley

Postby jfbillingsley » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:57 pm

I was thinking something more like this..

n163.png
n163.png (38.15 KiB) Viewed 2702 times

The "Waves" box would look like the DPCM sample box sorta, except with a wave preview. The up and down arrows on the right would let you rearrange the waves in the list. "New" would add a new wave, "Delete" deletes the current wave, and "Copy" and "Paste" work just like they do now.

There's even some extra space now for... I dunno.

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Adding tabs would be possible, but I don't think up to 16 tabs would fit without scrolling. Maybe adding key shortcuts for switching between waves would be faster?

However jfbillingsley's solution looks neat though. Do you have it actually working or is it a mockup?
Famitracker developer

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:51 am

jfbillingsley wrote:The "Waves" box would look like the DPCM sample box sorta, except with a wave preview. The up and down arrows on the right would let you rearrange the waves in the list. "New" would add a new wave, "Delete" deletes the current wave, and "Copy" and "Paste" work just like they do now.

There's even some extra space now for... I dunno.

The Copy and Paste buttons are not required if the numerical waveform edit box remains intact (unlike FDS's instrument editor) so these can be removed at discretion, whereas the wave size / position could be placed below the edit box, then the remaining extra space would be reserved for the auto-position check box introduced in 0.5.0 beta, as shown below:
See here for an implementation. It does not use any new code introduced by 0CC-FamiTracker, so the same changes are applicable to FamiTracker 0.4.6 without modification.

There is currently no way to reorder waveforms, so this can be further improved by creating the up/down buttons (or just keyboard shortcuts within PreTranslateMessage) as shown in jfbillingsley's mockup, or by adding drag & drop functionality in a manner analogous to the instrument list. The width of the wave box can be reduced if 32 remains to be the maximum wave size in FamiTracker.

(I prefer having each wave sample draw one pixel only, rather than filling all the pixels below, e.g. NSFPlay's keyboard.)

EDIT: I have attached a very quick build of FamiTracker 0.4.6 that uses this implementation, for those who do not prefer compiling from 0CC-FamiTracker. All altered source files have been included.
Attachments
n163_wavebox.rar
(336.72 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

jfbillingsley

Postby jfbillingsley » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Well, dang. :D

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:53 pm

This has been added to v0.5

WaveEditor.png
WaveEditor.png (45.08 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Famitracker developer

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:51 pm

Does this break compatibility with existing modules in any way?
Follow me on Twitter.

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:57 pm

Nope, it's just a visual difference. The rest is identical.
Famitracker developer

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Thats really nice :D
Thank you!

Return to “Feature Requests”