Pan

Post about feature requests here.
dougmurray85

Pan

Postby dougmurray85 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:32 am

A simple option to pan Pulse 1 hard left and Pulse 2 hard right please ;)

HertzDevil

Re: Pan

Postby HertzDevil » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:11 am

Then do it in a NSF player or fork the FamiTracker source code yourself, since the official FamiTracker already has no responsibility to add emulation features that must be realized by hardware modding, much less splitting a single mixed signal from the 2A03 sound chip into separate tracks for each channel. (Hardware stereo mods can only do pulse 1/2 on one side and triangle/noise/DPCM on another, since the 2A03 outputs these two mixed tracks.)
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

dougmurray85

Postby dougmurray85 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:06 am

I really don't understand the problem?

Nintendo has made the sound tracks stereo for Eshop releases. Whay is it so hard to do in Famitracker?

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:11 am

dougmurray85 wrote:I really don't understand the problem?

Nintendo has made the sound tracks stereo for Eshop releases. Whay is it so hard to do in Famitracker?

It's not hard. It's also not accurate which is the point of the tracker
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:15 pm

dougmurray85 wrote:I really don't understand the problem?

Nintendo has made the sound tracks stereo for Eshop releases.

I'm not personally aware of any NES VC titles with stereo soundtracks, do you know of any?

The point is that unless there was stereo support back in the day it was released, that's outside the scope of FamiTracker's purpose.

sirocyl

Postby sirocyl » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:53 pm

It'd be difficult to make a stereo NES, simply because the mixing of the two pulse channels (square DAC's) happens inside the 2A03 chip, and put onto Pin 1. The TND pin, with triangle/noise/DMC channels, is mixed with that externally, so any stereo panning would require a third-party CPU ASIC, or modded panning hardware on the board.

The mod for split audio is talked about here: http://hackitup.tumblr.com/post/3039352465/hacking-the-nes-famicom-for-split-audio-outs

The problem is, it would be hard-panned, without any external expansion connections or I/O or "special logic".
The most ideal way to get expanded audio from an NES or Famicom would be to put the audio connector on the cart itself, much like expansion carts for some other systems (I believe the Sega 32x and CD does this, but I'm not 100% sure).

Putting it in Famitracker would be obtuse to the goal of making a chip-accurate chiptune synth; the stereo NSF's generated would need custom hardware, and FT seems to be focusing on the core 2a03 variants and released cart expansion chips.

Now, if you do want stereo panning, it's quite easy to export channel-by-channel, and operate on it in Audacity or another audio editor.
Keep the panning resolution 4-bit (16 levels, 0x7 center), though. I wouldn't see them putting 8 or higher on hardware of the day.

One feature worth considering to add to FT, though, is the ability to batch-export channel by channel, with or without bypassing the APU system's mixers.

[p.s. you could also use two NES's, i.e., make two Famitracker instances. Synchronizing them might be a pain - I put a time code (set of pips, think like BBC does) in triangle 7F on both patterns, and sync them up that way.]

dougmurray85

Postby dougmurray85 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:47 am

I'll happily take batch export if pan isn't doable. Although I can't see the issue in having this program achive things slightly outsite of what the original hardware's capabilities. Just block NSF output if panning is used.

James_S

Postby James_S » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Just export .wavs with seperate channels, and put them back together in audacity using the pan tool.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

SamW

Postby SamW » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:12 pm

dougmurray85 wrote:I'll happily take batch export if pan isn't doable. Although I can't see the issue in having this program achive things slightly outsite of what the original hardware's capabilities. Just block NSF output if panning is used.

The NES or Famicom can't do stereo.*

Therefore, FamiTracker will never officially support it. There's nothing more to it.

[*not without the aforementioned modifications to the console, and as stated, separate the Pulses from the Tri/Noise/DPCM channels left and right. since this is without control, I do not count this as the console supporting stereo.]
ym2612 extraordinaire, metal & edm producer, professional weeblord, head over heels for harumi

twitter
soundcloud
super famidev

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 pm

I still think it's a feature worth having. Aside from being a nice option, channel separation can help when composing too, making individual voices easier to evaluate.

Return to “Feature Requests”