Pan

Post about feature requests here.
Threxx

Re: Pan

Postby Threxx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 am

rainwarrior wrote:I still think it's a feature worth having. Aside from being a nice option, channel separation can help when composing too, making individual voices easier to evaluate.

You can simply mute channels to do that. There is no need for this non-accurate feature.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:01 am

Lol muting channels is not the same as stereo panning.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:44 am

There seems to be a trend of suggestions for features that aren't technically accurate to the hardware but which could be useful nonetheless just for the sake of experimenting. (Like being able to ignore the phase reset bug on notes like A-3.)

w7n

Postby w7n » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 am

My opinions are:
1. This isn't a useful feature because you can just output each channel separately and mix them as you want.
2. FamiTracker is designed to be authentic and technically accurate(although it isn't exactly accurate in some cases). If you don't want authenticity, FamiTracker simply doesn't suit your purpose.
nsf.nesbbs.com under reconstruction, better player might be available in the future.

VRC6 PWM is GAY because it has colours of the rainbow in the NSFPlay keyboard visualizer.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:07 pm

rainwarrior wrote:Lol muting channels is not the same as stereo panning.

I think Threxx meant that you can just mute channels to evaluate channels singly.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

sirocyl

Postby sirocyl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:12 pm

I don't think panning channels is as simple as "put pulse 1 on left speaker and pulse 2 on right speaker".
It would likely require heavy modification of the sound driver and synthesis/emulation engine.
We have the tools needed to make stereo NSFs outside of Famitracker, and personally, I don't think we need those tools inside of Famitracker.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 pm

MiniMacro wrote:I think Threxx meant that you can just mute channels to evaluate channels singly.

I know what Threxx meant, and its not at all what I was suggesting.

Music is an art of combination and relationships. Hearing the channels with individual panning aids in their perception and separation while at the same time hearing them together, which is precisely what muting channels is not.

sirocyl wrote:It would likely require heavy modification of the sound driver and synthesis/emulation engine.

It's not a heavy modification. The synthesis and emulation stays exactly the same, and so does the sound driver. Panning is just a mixing step, applied to the outputs. IMO most of the work is creating a UI to choose a panning.

Though, honestly I don't like speculating about how much work it is. I merely want to add my voice to those who would like to see this feature. As always, jsr can evaluate whether it's worthwhile to implement.

Baka94

Postby Baka94 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:59 pm

rainwarrior wrote:...channel separation can help when composing too, making individual voices easier to evaluate.

Isn't this what the mute/solo channel options are for? I don't see a reason for having stereo audio as it is something that the NES didn't have. If I want to listen in stereo I use NSF player to do that.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:27 pm

^Please read the post directly above your post.

As a tool to help with composing (and not as an effect that can be changed on the fly), I would like to see this implemented. Perhaps the existing Configuration>Mixer dialog can be adapted to have panning sliders for individual channels.

Zaalan3

Postby Zaalan3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:29 pm

I personally think this kind of feature would be most useful for outputing .wav's and such. Personally this would be more of a convienience feature, so you dont have to go through editors like audacity. I don't see why it has to interfere with hardware at all, simple directing the outputs and all that jazz.

Return to “Feature Requests”