"Apply to all slots" for DPCM

Post about feature requests here.
PostApocolyptica

Re: "Apply to all slots" for DPCM

Postby PostApocolyptica » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:02 pm

sirocyl wrote:FamiTracker masks most of the underlying technical knowledge of the NES, and abstracts it down to a format that is more in line with music-creation, than programming and changing registers on the APU.

If only there were a wiki that explained the functionality of FamiTracker, the NES and the Famicom...
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:03 pm

MiniMacro wrote:Okay, I probably didn't word that right.
If someone is making a song, they might use this button for its intended purpose.
It does the same function as the sequence of buttons it's intended to replace.

I get the idea, but if they have the same function, and the automation itself has potential negative effects, I see no reason to incorporate the automation into the main build.
The negative effects being to cause users to rely on the automation instead of the sequence, even in cases when the sequence would be more effective, because they don't understand the functions of the sequence, only having used the automation.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:15 pm

This could be made into a feature, but making it work would be a fairly involved process. If my reckoning is right (do correct me if I am mistaken), in order to fill a single octave with chromatic DPCM samples (assuming you want to use speeds 15 and 14 only, which provide the best sample quality available), you need five chromatic samples ranging from the highest note of the octave to the major third below (e.g. C4 through Ab3 if you want C3 through C4). So you would either need to already have those samples at hand, or the tracker would generate them from a single given sample. Then it would figure out which one is the highest-pitch sample (not easy), and use an algorithm to distribute the samples across a specified octave.

For two, three, four etc. octaves, this process gets more and more complicated.

So it's theoretically possible, but in practice it's probably too much work for too little benefit in return.

This thread was reported to me as containing way too much hostility for a simple feature request thread, and I have to say I agree with that sentiment. MiniMacro you need to be mindful of other people telling you why your feature is or isn't a good idea. Everyone else needs to chill out and be a little bit more respectful. Okay? Okay.
Follow me on Twitter.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Now, this wouldn't make it chromatic, but just the same note, and then work from there.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:21 pm

The thing is that you'd have to rework all the other notes that you need to change, so this still wouldn't be too useful dude. You would essentially be overwriting your work so it wouldn't help at all.

Also for everyone who replied in a hostile way, knock it off. Starting such lengthy arguments over a simple thing isn't cool, and like jrlepage said, chill out. You can all have a perfectly fine discussion here without being hostile.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 pm

sirocyl wrote:If we kept on doing everything The Hard Way™, we'd all still be fucking with hex editors.

Learn a scripting language. Do a batch job.

Do not judge whether any feature must turn out to be beneficial or detrimental for the majority of FamiTracker users. You are not in a position to access how much automation FamiTracker requires; for if every automation is such that it does make it less necessary for users to learn how to use a tracker, copying and pasting would not exist because it can be automated with manually overwriting the notes, and step settings would not exist because one could achieve the same with single-row movements. jsr merely incorporates abstractions of existing practices deemed suitable into FamiTracker, as do I into 0CC-FT; saying that adding any automation hampers one's probability or ability of willingness to learn to use FamiTracker well is an absolute insult to everyone who can perform that automation. It is like saying that adding the MIDI import functionality necessarily makes jsr incapable of production within FamiTracker.

If I need to start an argument over what posts in this subforum are "useful" or "constructive", I could go on and say that only the OP and the replies consisting of code contain substance, and virtually all other replies are no more useful than the feature they have tried so hard persuading the author to not look for the canonical solution. (Whether jsr implements these features in lieu of certain others is another issue.)

Cut that out.

@jrlepage: It probably does not have any to do with DPCM resampling; from my understanding it only creates new assignments for the rest of the pitches assuming the chromatic scale of the notes and the DPCM pitch values.

@Dr. Merio: The settings of the designated DPCM sample should apply to other assignments. I will come up with something. If anyone knows to use Ctrl+Z (at least one person here is not acquited to it), they should be fully aware that what they do can and will overwrite existing data; there is no undoing for instruments.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:42 pm

So, Hertz, are you defending my idea or going against it.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

James_S

Postby James_S » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:53 pm

MiniMacro wrote:So, Hertz, are you defending my idea or going against it.

how
how
how
just read the post
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Well, I did.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com