VRC7 instrument sequences

Post about feature requests here.
HertzDevil

VRC7 instrument sequences

Postby HertzDevil » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:04 pm

I request that VRC7 instruments have its own set of macros, akin to 2A03 and other expansion chips except FDS. The usefulness of arpeggio and pitch sequences shall not require further explanation; the volume sequence is less useful because VRC7 patches already have high precision ADSR envelopes, but nonetheless has its use in making other envelopes, e.g. fast tremolos.

I am creating this thread from the standpoint that these sequences can certainly be done and will be implemented regardless of whether the official build includes it; for, if a block called VRC7_SEQUENCES can be found in a FTM, and shares the same format as the other sequence blocks, then there is no reason VRC7 instruments cannot use these sequences, unless these sequences are contained by each instrument, which is the case for FDS (but doing so would require a new block version for INSTRUMENTS anyway).

Please consider adding sequences to VRC7 instruments.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Shywolf

Re: VRC7 instrument sequences

Postby Shywolf » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Support.

Only thing is note-release commands, though. Would the current behaviour of note-release commands on VRC7 instruments' volume be "replaced" by defined volume release sequences only if at least one such release sequence is assigned in a given instrument?

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:22 am

Because note release can only be issued once per note (iirc in 0.4.2 you can release a note more than once as long as its release portion has not finished), a solution is to bind the first note release to the volume sequence, then a second one to the VRC7 patch itself. The first note release will apply to the patch directly if the current instrument does not use a release portion in its volume sequence; in this case should the instrument use ones in other sequences, this second-release behaviour can still be enforced by using { / 15 } as the volume sequence.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:13 pm

HertzDevil wrote:this second-release behaviour can still be enforced by using { / 15 } as the volume sequence.

I've tried that (not with the VRC7 but just in general) but Famitracker's lack of loop/release separation became an issue I couldn't work around.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:52 pm

Would there be any section of sequences which would activate the "change instrument's release to $5 then release" command after an arbitrary amount of wait frames?

My current understanding and usage of instruments is to completely or partially erase the need for repeated effect usage. This would eliminate the need for Sxx commands (at least I think Sxx in current versions does the "change instrument's release to $5 then release" command)
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:26 am

The VRC7_SEQUENCES shall only include sequences; everything else will belong to the INSTRUMENTS block. Instrument sequences do not contain instrument data because multiple instruments may use the same sequence.

Sxx does not do that in 0.4.6 or 0.5.0 beta 5, as it issues a note cut. It is always possible, however, to spare one or two bits of the volume sequence to specify when to sustain and trigger the VRC7 channel (the $2x S/T flags).

If instruments are made such that effect usage can be eliminated, there does not need to be any effect command other than thr global ones (B/C/D/F); an instrument only serves to reduce constant effects emanating from note trigger.

Return to “Feature Requests”