Port Famitracker to the 3DS/N3DS!?

Questions and information regarding the source & NSF driver.
sirocyl

Re: Port Famitracker to the 3DS/N3DS!?

Postby sirocyl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:15 am

There is a port of Linux for the 3DS, rather than the DS, with support for a Wayland compositor, which QT can render to.
A port of QTFT to the 3DS is not too far off, assuming that the architecture-specific code has been taken care of - which I'd assume was just the MFC stuff, anyway.
The only problem I'm seeing, so far, is that the UI would need to be rejiggered to fit such a small screen. Shouldn't be impossible, though.

Daggdroppen

Postby Daggdroppen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39 am

sirocyl wrote:There is a port of Linux for the 3DS, rather than the DS, with support for a Wayland compositor, which QT can render to.
A port of QTFT to the 3DS is not too far off, assuming that the architecture-specific code has been taken care of - which I'd assume was just the MFC stuff, anyway.
The only problem I'm seeing, so far, is that the UI would need to be rejiggered to fit such a small screen. Shouldn't be impossible, though.

Cool!

The N3DSXL upper screen is 4.9 inch and the lower screen is 4.2. So I think it would fit really good! (Much better than having Sunvox or Milkytracker on my 5.5 inch phone at least).

The d-pad and the buttons could handle the sequencer. While the touch screen could handle instruments etc. :)

sirocyl

Postby sirocyl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:22 pm

The size of the screen isn't as much of a problem as the resolution and the user interface, assuming it can be compiled to ARM.
I think the bottom screen should have any windows and dialogs on it, and by default show the instrument/pattern display, and a one to two-octave virtual keyboard input area, with different modes for note input as well as hexadecimal/effect entry.
The top screen should be dedicated to the main tracker editor.

Daggdroppen

Postby Daggdroppen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Yeah! Sounds very exciting :)

The keyboard could be something like this perhaps?
Attachments
Famitracker3DSss.jpg
Famitracker3DSss.jpg (355.85 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Last edited by Daggdroppen on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Calm down, we firstly have to port qt to 3ds or something ;)

Daggdroppen

Postby Daggdroppen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:03 pm

haha. Ok! I will chill :D

cpow

Postby cpow » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:40 pm

sirocyl wrote:The only problem I'm seeing, so far, is that the UI would need to be rejiggered to fit such a small screen. Shouldn't be impossible, though.

With Qt it'd be easy. Unfortunately, though, in order to emulate MFC I had to use forced widget placement. So in order to rejigger the UI you'll need to go back to the MFC dialog resources and play with those. On top of that, I never got to the point of runtime converting the dialog resources into the final form. So what you'll see in cqtmfc_famitracker.cpp is a bunch of functions that programmatically create the dialog based on the element specifications in the resource file. The ultimate goal of the QtMFC layer was to have it be able to read a resource file and do the necessary. I haven't "felt enough pain" yet in upgrade-following jsr's changes to the UI, even though I've been doing it since 0.4.1!

sirocyl

Postby sirocyl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:46 am

Messing with the dialog resources shouldn't be too hard. I've messed with resource-hackers to customize and screw with Windows apps before, chances are I could just load the FamiTracker.rc up and go about it through that.

I'm having some issues building (I think it's building a 64-bit binary since I'm on amd64 Linux - it doesn't like that :) ), but I'll post those in the other topic.

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:49 am

The resources could be supplied in source form in a zip file next to the program's one and parsed at runtime. If you want I can do that for you, because text processing is always fun to me.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi, I'm just posting here to let you know that those images you attached are quite big, and they can cause the page to load slowly (they also use up a lot of server space).

If you could attach smaller images, or upload them in another site and link to them (or using the [img] tag instead), it would be great. Thanks.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Return to “Source and development”