[2a03] Forbidden Temple

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
dpplasma

[2a03] Forbidden Temple

Postby dpplasma » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:43 pm

This is my first Famitracker song that actually is half decent. Tell me what you think!
forbidden-temple-dpplasma.ftm
(7 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Teuthida

Re: [2a03] Forbidden Temple

Postby Teuthida » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm sorry to say, but this song has several glaring issues.

Most importantly, it doesn't really follow any sort of tonal structure. While there's nothing wrong with atonality, your use of it prevents it from having any memorability or 'good sound', making it hard to listen to without getting annoyed. I recommend that you stick to the standard keys and modes for now until you become skilled enough to use atonality well. Your Noise channel only plays very bland rhythms with barely any change.

On the technical side of things, your use of the tracker is also poor. You only have two(very basic) instruments. Although you can make good music with a few instruments(just look at Overlord99 or PaulMannIV for evidence of that) you usually need to compose at a higher speed so that you have finer control over volume and effects. If you want to continue using your current speed, you should make some more complex instruments. At several points, you appear to have forgotten to cancel your effects when switching frames, resulting in an uglier sound. You also never use the triangle or switch waveforms at all, giving the whole song a lack of timbral texture. To make your song more interesting, try bringing in the triangle or going to V03 or V00.

All in all, this has serious, massive problems. If you want to improve your ability, I recommend doing the following:
1. Study music theory. This is by far the most important one. If you study this, you will have a better idea of pitches and how to create interesting and memorable melodies.
2. Study the demo songs. Find two or three that you like(preferably on the chip you're using) and really get into them. Find sounds, chords or melodies you like and figure out why you like them. Then, figure out how to implement those sounds into your own music, ideally putting your own spin on it.
3. Join the FamiTracker Discord server. This server is filled with people who know FamiTracker well. While they're somewhat hostile to newbies, as long as you show that you want to improve and take their critiques well, they will help you get better.
4. Download 0CC-FamiTracker. This program is an enhanced version of the program you're already using, with lots of new features.

I really hope that you can improve from this and eventually become a skilled composer!
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

dpplasma

Re: [2a03] Forbidden Temple

Postby dpplasma » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out

Return to “Original Music”