First post. Feedback?

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
sterne

First post. Feedback?

Postby sterne » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:52 pm

This is a little practice .ftm I made. It is one frame long and loops indefinitely.

The chord progression is basically Ducktales- again, this was for practicing, not actually composing seriously. Melody is standard.

Essentially, I'm going for a "rich" or "saturated" sound. As such I've used VRC6, doubled the triangle with a Sawtooth on the lowest octave for extra bass, used the punchiest DPCM I could find, and rasped up the snare with a basic noise instrument.

What are your thoughts on the general tone or sound? Is it pleasant, or cluttered?
Attachments
practice1.ftm
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
But... why?

iYamWhatIYam

Re: First post. Feedback?

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:25 pm

This is very good, and I can say so based on my first original, which was garbage. I congratulate you, as you definitely have a concept of harmony, and your song loops extremely well.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the volume; your song is pretty loud. (That's okay, because this is typical of beginners, and I did so myself when I began.) That's the only concern I have.

Keep it up! I would like to hear more from you!
born to fuck life is a die

she/her

decomposinghorse

Postby decomposinghorse » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:22 pm

UH-HUH.
DIS HEA' BOIH
JHILD

this sounds pretty damn nice
i thought that the vrc6's lead pulse wave might've been a bit too loud when i was listening with rubbish laptop speakers, but then i clamped my headphones on;
the module is loud, but it's nice and level, which makes the loud volume totally fine (if not preferable); the only instrument that needs volume adjustment is the 2A03's second pulse, as it's just too quiet to fully appreciate.
you nailed the "saturated" sound you were going for; this is very rich.

if you wanted to further improve on this, the only thing i could recommend would be using a different noise channel snare—though the one that you currently have isn't so bad that it takes away from the track, and inserting a better snare is much less of a challenge than doing what you've done here.
on a related note, you might get a kick out of the module at hand in the following thread—if you haven't already seen it, which i strongly suspect you have:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=566
certainly doesn't have the same depth to the sound that yours has (apart from the sections with the "Bass guitar" instrument used in Alchemy Lab) but it does have the same basic elements to percussion, add a much improved noise snare.

to address a side matter, your "standard" melody is pretty great for something intended purely for practice
i can hear something similar to this being an ending to a long piece of music
a good one

i hope that you will make more
Last edited by decomposinghorse on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deathro

Postby Deathro » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:07 am

There is really little I can say about this that hasn't already been said. For a first original. Original. This is ridiculously awesome. Even if it is one frame. There's a lot fo potential in this. I really like the style. The only thing I'd say is probably Using Qxx for the pitch slide on the bass instead of a quick 3xx effect. But that's not even a problem. The balancing could be a little better, I guess. Other than that, yeah. Do more things, because this is great.