I thought I would upload the source files for most of the "serious" music I've done up until now, due to the deprecation of the old FT forums. Most of these weren't even posted on the old board at all!
To be honest, when I started this post I thought I had a lot more music than I actually did... in any case, I think this is a decently sized post for now.
Feel free to use the source files as a learning exercise or whatever you wish - all are licensed under CC-BY.
What follows is a short summary of each one; if this block of text seems too daunting feel free to just listen to the music below.
- CrossProduct.ftm (2014/02/15) - It's a bit atypical, but nice. The intro chords were inspired by an Animal Crossing song. I doodled the 7/8 section a couple of years ago, I'm glad I finally found a use for it! It placed 59th overall in Battle of the Bits' Winter Chip IX.
- Garten.ftm (2013/07/16) - By far my most popular song, thanks to a certain video! Everyone else seems to like the sidechaining at frame 0C, but I don't remember spending that much time and effort on it! The version on the album its featured on is ever so slightly different to the source file I sent in, can you spot the difference? And, to be honest, the title was chosen out of thin air...
- JiveThrice_fin.ftm (2012/10/30) - Wow! Just over three years old, the oldest song here! This was my entry for Famicompo mini 9, where it came 15th out of 49. This was an attempt at wavetable synthesis, I guess. The bass waveforms were (manually) copied from the classic Sunsoft bass DPCM. I still think it has a catchy melody, but the mixing was quite poor.
- Macro.ftm (2015/04/25) - My first source file using a non-standard engine frequency. Working with the increased fidelity was interesting; you can get some unique timbres by experimenting a bit - have a look at the instruments used for the bass in the first frame! I also made an attempt at compression/ducking which I think turned out nicely.
- PrideBreak_fin.ftm (2013/02/02) - This was my NSF entry to Battle of the Bits' Winter Chip VIII, where it achieved 6th overall and 3rd in the NSF category! I think this is the first serious piece where I made use of my characteristic "square bass + triangle lead" instrumentation!
- RevengeOfSummerChipPharoah.ftm (2013/02/15) - The year in the source file is wrong... anyway, this was originally a piece I did for a one-hour compo, but I remixed it cause I thought it was a nice little loop. The strange channel arrangement was done so that it could be rendered in stereo.
- StickWith.ftm (2013/05/08) - An interesting little swingy thing; the piece has a lot of mood swings. As I recall, I did this completely within a day, which is a rarity for me.
- UsualDay.ftm (2013/07/10) - This was my entry for Famicompo mini 10, where it came 10th out of 108, which is incredible! I think this song makes good use of the limited number of channels; I particularly like the interjected melody at frame 12 (compare with frame 10), and the triangle single-channel echo at frame 18 (which I reused in Garten).
Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions.