ipi's Music Archive

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
ipi

ipi's Music Archive

Postby ipi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:02 am

Hello! I'm still alive and well.

I thought I would upload the source files for most of the "serious" music I've done up until now, due to the deprecation of the old FT forums. Most of these weren't even posted on the old board at all!

To be honest, when I started this post I thought I had a lot more music than I actually did... in any case, I think this is a decently sized post for now.

Feel free to use the source files as a learning exercise or whatever you wish - all are licensed under CC-BY.

What follows is a short summary of each one; if this block of text seems too daunting feel free to just listen to the music below.

• CrossProduct.ftm (2014/02/15) - It's a bit atypical, but nice. The intro chords were inspired by an Animal Crossing song. I doodled the 7/8 section a couple of years ago, I'm glad I finally found a use for it! It placed 59th overall in Battle of the Bits' Winter Chip IX.
  • Garten.ftm (2013/07/16) - By far my most popular song, thanks to a certain video! Everyone else seems to like the sidechaining at frame 0C, but I don't remember spending that much time and effort on it! The version on the album its featured on is ever so slightly different to the source file I sent in, can you spot the difference? And, to be honest, the title was chosen out of thin air...
  • JiveThrice_fin.ftm (2012/10/30) - Wow! Just over three years old, the oldest song here! This was my entry for Famicompo mini 9, where it came 15th out of 49. This was an attempt at wavetable synthesis, I guess. The bass waveforms were (manually) copied from the classic Sunsoft bass DPCM. I still think it has a catchy melody, but the mixing was quite poor.
  • Macro.ftm (2015/04/25) - My first source file using a non-standard engine frequency. Working with the increased fidelity was interesting; you can get some unique timbres by experimenting a bit - have a look at the instruments used for the bass in the first frame! I also made an attempt at compression/ducking which I think turned out nicely.
  • PrideBreak_fin.ftm (2013/02/02) - This was my NSF entry to Battle of the Bits' Winter Chip VIII, where it achieved 6th overall and 3rd in the NSF category! I think this is the first serious piece where I made use of my characteristic "square bass + triangle lead" instrumentation!
  • RevengeOfSummerChipPharoah.ftm (2013/02/15) - The year in the source file is wrong... anyway, this was originally a piece I did for a one-hour compo, but I remixed it cause I thought it was a nice little loop. The strange channel arrangement was done so that it could be rendered in stereo.
  • StickWith.ftm (2013/05/08) - An interesting little swingy thing; the piece has a lot of mood swings. As I recall, I did this completely within a day, which is a rarity for me.
  • UsualDay.ftm (2013/07/10) - This was my entry for Famicompo mini 10, where it came 10th out of 108, which is incredible! I think this song makes good use of the limited number of channels; I particularly like the interjected melody at frame 12 (compare with frame 10), and the triangle single-channel echo at frame 18 (which I reused in Garten).

Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions.
Attachments
CrossProduct.ftm
(70.54 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Garten.ftm
(93.83 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
JiveThrice_fin.ftm
(134.14 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Macro.ftm
(77.77 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
PrideBreak_fin.ftm
(83.68 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
RevengeOfSummerChipPharoah.ftm
(22.6 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
StickWith.ftm
(26.62 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
UsualDay.ftm
(50.34 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

footprints420

Re: ipi's Music Archive

Postby footprints420 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:17 am

Holy shit, I can't believe how good this is.
Kuwabara, kuwabara....welcome to my unit, and to my hotbox.
Check out my Soundcloud profile (∩の ͜> の)⊃━☆゚. * ・ 。゚ https://soundcloud.com/footprints2014
And my bandcamp https://footprints919.bandcamp.com

Slammin

Postby Slammin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm always pleased to listen and learn from this. You have a particular style, sir, and me likey, likey a lotz :3
Oh, hi 'v'^... Here's my YouTube.... and remember: I'm most certainly not a bear-dinosaur-man-thing...
I guess...

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:24 pm

This is freaking awesome! This is some of the best chiptune I've ever heard. Wow!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:43 am

Please tell me we can use your instruments.......

......pls........?
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:46 am

iYamWhatIYam wrote:Please tell me we can use your instruments

Who says you can't even if you're told no? What's gonna happen, a lawsuit?
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:16 am

ImATrackMan wrote:Who says you can't even if you're told no? What's gonna happen, a lawsuit?

I felt that it would be courteous to ask before I did anything with them, assuming that these were original.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

ipi

Postby ipi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Thanks for all of the nice comments!

iYamWhatIYam wrote:Please tell me we can use your instruments.......

......pls........?

Thanks for asking. You are welcome to study and take inspiration from my source files, but I would not suggest copying them directly! If you become reliant on using other people's instruments, you won't get any better at making your own. I suppose an exception to this would be if you're making a stylistic cover/pastiche.

Yes, my instruments are original; I make them as and when I need them. Occasionally there will be a bit of experimentation beforehand (as with Macro), and occasionally I'll leave some instruments unused (as a result of me changing my mind).

Ares64

Postby Ares64 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:41 pm

stick with is a fuckin good song (not to say that i dont like all of them, that one is just my absolute fav)

Slammin

Postby Slammin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:07 pm

ipi wrote:Thanks for all of the nice comments!

iYamWhatIYam wrote:Please tell me we can use your instruments.......

......pls........?

Thanks for asking. You are welcome to study and take inspiration from my source files, but I would not suggest copying them directly! If you become reliant on using other people's instruments, you won't get any better at making your own. I suppose an exception to this would be if you're making a stylistic cover/pastiche.

Yes, my instruments are original; I make them as and when I need them. Occasionally there will be a bit of experimentation beforehand (as with Macro), and occasionally I'll leave some instruments unused (as a result of me changing my mind).

This. Exactly my thoughts. I study the instruments of many, many FTMs coughcoughcoughI'veSiegedTheOldForumscoughcough, but I do not copy them, but, in said song (Macro), you have really instresting things: Like the "FM" instrument imitation with the custom clock speed, and those things are really amazing and gives one particular intresting sound that one would like to have in their own songs. But, even If I take more time to learn how to do it, I'll try to pull them by myself, so I can think of anything new later. And, seriously, after giving all songs a deep listen, they are really, REALLY good. And thank you again for sharing the FTMs.

And I also like to make PIU-Styled stepcharts for many songs and I'll may do one of these, I hope. I've been more focused on trying to pull a couple of songs from Famitracker than that.
Oh, hi 'v'^... Here's my YouTube.... and remember: I'm most certainly not a bear-dinosaur-man-thing...
I guess...

Return to “Original Music”