[1-N163] Friendly Battle

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Lum

[1-N163] Friendly Battle

Postby Lum » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:14 am

Hello. It's been a while!

Here's something I've been working on. I was inspired by the aesthetic of Game Boy RPGs, hence the use of a single N163 wave to get that wavetable bass.

Let me know what you think!

Edit: Why was it downloaded over 200 times in 10 minutes? Is this a glitch?
Attachments
Friendly_Battle.ftm
(22.96 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Friendly_Battle.nsf
(12.67 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

jarf

Re: [1-N163] Friendly Battle

Postby jarf » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:33 am

I'm really digging this.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Overall it sounds pretty awesome, I can definitely see this as a leitmotif of whatever rival character you are battling.

The only things I might change are starting the song off by pickup note (I prefer starting the song at frame 01) and the somewhat abrupt transitions between segments (frames 0F and 1D, frame 13). They're not abrupt to a fault, more that they just catch you by surprise the first time.

Lum

Postby Lum » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:07 am

Thank you both for the feedback!

I struggled for a while on whether to include the pickup or just start at frame 01. Eventually it grew on me, though, so I kept it in.

As for the transitions, I'm having trouble seeing them as abrupt, but then again I've listened to it enough times to expect them... I guess that's why listener feedback is important. I'll see if there's anything I can do about them.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:51 am

Giving it another listen today, and I've got some more.

1 - The pickup notes on the intro. I've been mulling this over for a while and one I might've figured out a few things. Maybe it's because it picks up on a half-note and not a full note. Maybe it's because it's not a motif that gets repeated throughout the song (like this), or at least one more time in frame 01.

2 - The transition from frame 01 to 02 is somewhat abrupt but not distracting, in fact a bit expected considering how loud frame 01 is (reminds me of the intro to every Pokemon battle music ever). The transition from frame 05 to frame 06 is also abrupt, maybe you could give it a lead-in like at the end of frame 07.

3 - The transition from 0F to 10 isn't that bad after a few listens. The transition from frame 12 to 13 is still a surprise but a deliberate one and it fits.

Return to “Original Music”