Hobo Spider Mind (0.4.6) [N163-4]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
PanchoVeda

Hobo Spider Mind (0.4.6) [N163-4]

Postby PanchoVeda » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Hello. Here's a new work on the Namco chip. I also made restorative/finishing changes to SD and TFSB. Detailed comments were added to all attached modules. I wish you all the best.
Attachments
6_HoboSpiderMind046.ftm
(679.37 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
5_TheFourStoneBenches046.ftm
(264.26 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
4_SansDeli046.ftm
(369.7 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
3_LawnSprinkler046_rdus.ftm
(150.94 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
2_StickyWheel046.ftm
(233.54 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
1_SweetSamsara046.ftm
(90.44 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

NicolasMaeder

Re: Hobo Spider Mind (0.4.6) [N163-4]

Postby NicolasMaeder » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 pm

I thought you were going to release these 6 songs as 1 massive .ftm file, but then you split it into 6 because of the file size. Was that thought true?

By the way, you seem to be someone who posted chiptune songs on the old FamiTracker forums. That's true, so welcome back! :D (see: http://www.famitracker.com/forum/profile.php?id=3295) I wonder why you didn't post new songs in a long time.

Your work is good. I like it pretty well.
http://nicolasmaeder.bandcamp.com/
http://nicolasmaeder.wordpress.com/
What makes you think this is an acceptable thing to do?
not acceptable thing to do

PanchoVeda

Postby PanchoVeda » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:37 am

Hi NicolasMaeder. Only the top file (number 6) is fully new material. The other five were on the old forum, but the fourth and fifth pieces have been reworked here for version 0.4.6. Other corrections were also made (details are in the module comments). No pattern changes were made to the first three modules, but I added comments and some bonus material. I wasn't planning on putting them all into one .ftm file. Thank you for your comment, by the way. I'm glad you enjoyed the work.

decomposinghorse

Postby decomposinghorse » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:09 pm

these tracks are well, well worthy of a larger release

if you found some way to do it (time might be an issue), you should record versions of these with physical instruments
i know you made it all and everything—but if you go ahead and do that, please, oh goodness, please have the sound keep as much integrity as these ones hold

i listened to hobo spider mind, and my initial reply to this was just going to be something along the lines of "HOH, HNG, HHHHHNG," but i eventually found myself able to write words again

on top of there being countless moments where parts within the whole piece could be made into entire tracks that would immediately have the material to be some of the best music in years—honestly, as there is beauty present to which i'm honestly not sure if there is a contemporary parallel in any other musical medium these days—your sound design, especially in regards to hobo spider mind, is just fucking—like, GAH, EEEEENG—it, is fucking, incredible.
the whole thing is like one enthralling, subdued mental climax of intense beauty that just washes over the listener like the waves of a perfect ocean to some fool lucky enough to be chained to a rock and half-submerged in it

MAYBE ONE THING, before i set myself up to have to deal with a heaping meal of cold regretti in the future—in hobo spider mind, pulse 2, and the second, third, and fourth namco channels—from frames 3B to 41, the chord structure that they play sounds out of place in a piece that is otherwise as good as this.
buuuuuut—hnnf—what follows—
       —oh GOD, WHAT FOLLOWS
you've slain me
it's stuff like this that both makes me want to hope, and makes me have hope for a better future
it makes me want to see the day where i can fully grasp this, and tell you how good it really is in that much more detail
this is both just firmly inspiring, and utterly crushing

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:04 pm

It's been a while since I last saw that much detail crammed into an FTM. This was a very interesting listen.

Also, now I know why the other ones seemed familiar... welcome back!!

footprints420

Postby footprints420 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:09 am

This is inspirational! Hobo Spider mind is so good I just feel like crying. This is a masterpiece.
Kuwabara, kuwabara....welcome to my unit, and to my hotbox.
Check out my Soundcloud profile (∩の ͜> の)⊃━☆゚. * ・ 。゚ https://soundcloud.com/footprints2014
And my bandcamp https://footprints919.bandcamp.com

SriK

Postby SriK » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Incredible work, as always. The sound design in some parts of "Hobo Spider Mind" is mindblowing, some of the best stuff I've ever heard from Famitracker. At 18 minutes, it's a bit disjointed and drawn out (a lot of parts not having very strong refrains or variations), but it's hard to care much when it's this technically fantastic. (Do you have training in classical music, by any chance?)

And I echo decomposinghorse, I'd love to hear versions of these done with physical instruments.

PanchoVeda

Postby PanchoVeda » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:08 am

Thank you for the comments! And decomposinghorse especially, your moving words and metaphor induce me to get back further into this tracking business.

I've dabbled with FL Studio 11, but I don't think I have the internal wiring to make a satisfactory instrumental-sounding representation of my work. It would be a Herculean effort for me, at the least. For actual physical instruments, I would love to hear a well-arranged representation as well (with vocal talent included in the mix), and not just for my music but for many of the other Famitracker tunes posted over the years.

And SriK, to answer your question, I've had no formal training. In music, classical or otherwise, there is still so much I don't know and have yet to learn.

Return to “Original Music”