CrestCurse (VRC6), Complete

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
MechaGrapefruit

CrestCurse (VRC6), Complete

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:45 pm

After nearly a year, I've finally gotten this OST to a state with which I'm satisfied, though I would not be averse to edits. There's also a lengthy module note (that anyone can feel free to skip) that details the backstory/context I used to come up with this. I have no intention of actually making the game described, but planning it out helped direct the tracks a lot. Hope everyone enjoys.
and...
spoiler alert...
beta module.

CrestCurse OST 1.11 (Official).ftm
Finally ironed out everything, hopefully.
(575.78 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Last edited by MechaGrapefruit on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

MrKyurem

Re: CrestCurse (VRC6), Complete

Postby MrKyurem » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:01 am

this is why you never post a track close to RushJet's work - it'll get completely overshadowed.

I fear that this is also missing out on views because it's 0.5 beta, so I converted it back to the official build for you. Thanks for labelling your fuckong 0.5 beta, by the way.

I highly recommend that anybody who either has or hasn't seen the earlier versions of the CrestCurse ftm should take a look at this. Every track has a clear atmosphere which is conveyed beautifully, and Mecha's comments describe exactly what atmosphere they went for, and with almost every track, they hit the nail on the head. Vespers is a beautiful hub world theme, Transacted Soul fits perfectly for a mid-game stage, and Dire Blades remains just as great a boss theme as it was in Crestfall, and is still one of my favourite boss themes composed using Famitracker, if not my absolute favourite.

One of my few complaints is that in some tracks (usually the ones which are multiple tracks merged together), the transitions feel out of place. While it was done perfectly fine with Destiny's Hands, I think Acceptance should've been split into its own track, as the transition to the credits theme is a bit out of place. The cut out at frame 09 in Twisted Courage also feels a bit out of theme, and I doubt it would transition well to a stage theme if this game were ever to be made.

If you're still reading this, hurry up and give this a listen. RushJet's work definitely shines out, but you should definitely give this project the attention it deserves, too.

EDIT: There's also a missing 200 effect at the start of frame 0B on the noise. Might want to fix that.
Attachments
CrestCurse OST 1.0 Official Build.ftm
(562.08 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:35 pm

CrestCurse OST 1.1 (Official Build).ftm
Should've checked for RushJet before posting
(453.62 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Thank you for the feedback, both the positives as well as the critiques. I've removed the transition from Twisted Courage (as well as fixed that 200 - thought I'd gotten that before) and split Acceptance into two tracks.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -

MrKyurem

Postby MrKyurem » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:07 pm

MechaGrapefruit wrote:Thank you for the feedback, both the positives as well as the critiques. I've removed the transition from Twisted Courage (as well as fixed that 200 - thought I'd gotten that before) and split Acceptance into two tracks.

Anything you save in 0.5 beta is automatically turned into a 0.5 beta module. If you want to convert it back to a 0.4.6 module, export text, then remove the two excess lines below these (i forget what they are), then import text in 0.4.6, and save the .ftm.
Attachments
CrestCurse OST 1.1 (Actually Official Build).ftm
(575.66 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Ugh, sorry about that. For some reason, it was opening in 4.6, but not in 5, so I just assumed I'd done it correctly.
Just gonna put that version up at the top.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Sorry to double-post, realized that in separating tracks 26 and 27, I badly messed up the latter. Edited (and hopefully final-ish) version at the top.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:23 am

I definitely enjoyed listening through this, from beginning to end (module comments were interesting to read as well). Glad to see you got it finished!

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm happy to see this finished! I love your use of VRC6 for all the extra harmonies, and I enjoyed the tracks you added since I last saw this. I like your melodies, although I feel like something is lacking... I'm not sure how to pinpoint what bothers me though, but it's probably just stylistic preference.

I love the Triangle arpeggio thing you did in the last pattern of Track #6: Apparition. Some of my favorite tracks were #12 and #20, and #21. Speaking of #21, I hope you don't mind this edit I made to it.

Anyway, great job overall! I wish I could give more helpful feedback, but that's about all I have to say at the moment.
Attachments
knifed_heart_edit.ftm
(45.87 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I may work on editing Knifed Heart a bit (it was one of the earlier tracks I made for this, and revisiting it might help).
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -