Thunder Helix (VRC6)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
MechaGrapefruit

Thunder Helix (VRC6)

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Tried to give this a kind of forlorn, "must press on" feeling without making it too heavy.
<beta>
Thunder Helix.ftm
Also known as "The Fruits of Labor of a Four-Hour Flight Delay"
(32.88 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

Potentialing

Re: Thunder Helix (VRC6)

Postby Potentialing » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:42 pm

This is great! I love all the arpeggios (interesting how you de-tuned its echo on a single channel!)

I could get more in-depth, but I'm not sure: Would you mind if I critiqued the song?

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:35 pm

Go for it!
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:22 pm

I gave this piece a couple of listens, but as I listened to the song (as well as the Crest Curse soundtrack) I realized I'd probably end up saying exactly what I said in the following post, minus the thing about instrument timbres: http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1802#p14461

Honestly, this is already really good. The melody is fantastic, the harmonies flow well, the bass also flows well, drums are varied, and the whole thing just gets you pumping.

There are a few things I want to address, though. Your instruments are very similar in timbre (duty cycle, waveform, etc) and could use a bit more variation, and this makes it difficult to separate the melody from the harmonies.

In addition (or possibly alternatively),
I feel like the volume mixing plays another factor into the melody being too difficult to hear: Remember to try mixing volume as a pyramid, where the lower frequencies are louder than the higher ones, with the exception of the drums/melody sticking out as much as the bass.

Maybe try experimenting with risky/unexpected chords and see if you can try incorporating that in your style? There's nothing wrong with the composition, though I feel like there also isn't a lot it does for me personally. Perhaps it's a "unique flair" I'm looking for, like quirky blips in the background, or extra flair on various parts of the song (vibrato, pitch bends, grace notes, change in timesig, change in instruments... anything, really). It's a bit difficult to explain, I guess try to find something that identifies as you, something that people will hear and notice and think "This song was definitely written by DelBel."

You probably did put all your heart into this song, and I apologize for saying this, but I do feel the song is a bit cliche, and doesn't bring too much new to the table. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's (subjectively) nice to have an identifiable style that makes you stick out from other composers: I am guilty of this myself, actually.

---
Now, as far as the game itself: Did you have a particular context this would play in? Does it portray the kind of moods you wish the player to feel when they hear this in the game context? I can't give you my opinion in that regard without context (game style, overall feel of the game, where the song plays...) but somehow I feel you already have a good grasp at what you want. ;)

That's about all I have to say about this, really: I'd love to hear more from you, because you make some seriously great stuff.