Battle Theme [VRC6] (BETA)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
SmartKid

Re: Battle Theme [VRC6] (BETA)

Postby SmartKid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:57 am

This is chiptune gold! I really like and all the different harmonies, but I thought it could use a bit of polish in places. I went and added notes/echo on unused channels (unless you want to a deliberately sparse composition, you should never leave a channel blank), and tweaked the end portion to make it sound better (maybe? idk, you might like the original better), and added in a loop point (really, the song loops so naturally that I'm surprised you didn't put one in yourself).

Also, since this song apparently has lazy sound design and unnecessary instruments, I gave it an equally lazy and unnecessary title to match.
Attachments
Fight!.ftm
The thing about trying to improve something already so good is that you might accidentally make it worse. Hopefully this edit doesn't do that.
(64.89 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Last edited by SmartKid on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Like my covers? I have tons more on my YouTube channel.

null

Postby null » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:38 am

SmartKid wrote:This is chiptune gold! I really like and all the different harmonies, but I thought it could use a bit of polish in places. I went and added notes/echo on unused channels (unless you want to a deliberately sparse composition, you should never leave a channel blank), and tweaked the end portion to make it sound better (maybe? idk, you might like the original better), and added in a loop point (really, the song loops so naturally that I'm surprised you didn't put one in yourself).

Also, since this song apparently has lazy sound design and unnecessary instruments, I gave it an equally lazy and unnecessary title to match.

Hey, dude, thank you, but yes, i like the original more :P. I mean, echos are fine, but intro is supposed to have long notes in the background and the added saw channel parts is not really necessary i think, but thanks anyway.
But i like how you added slide downs to the last note of the chorus near the end, that's a nice touch :)

SmartKid

Postby SmartKid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:00 am

null wrote:Hey, dude, thank you, but yes, i like the original more :P. I mean, echos are fine, but intro is supposed to have long notes in the background and the added saw channel parts is not really necessary i think, but thanks anyway.
But i like how you added slide downs to the last note of the chorus near the end, that's a nice touch :)

Oh whoops, the intro notes weren't supposed to be shortened: I accidentally checked a box in the instrument editor I didn't mean to. I went ahead and fixed that in the FTM.

I guess the saw bass boost is more of a personal preference: I really like the sound of sawtooth + triangle bass, and I think the saw helps cover the bass whenever the triangle is playing the kick/snare accompaniment, in addition to allowing the bass to have an actual volume envelope and give it a bit of punch.

Yeah, the note slide just popped in my head when I was thinking of something to fill in the ending. Glad you liked that. I remember trying out some different things to make the ending more interesting, but they didn't sound as good as what I eventually settled with. It's really difficult to just make up parts like that, which is probably why I've never composed anything myself and only stuck to remixes and arrangements.
Like my covers? I have tons more on my YouTube channel.

anwserman

Postby anwserman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:57 am

I do like this song a lot. The bass line is great :)

totoshampoin

Postby totoshampoin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:07 am

Why can't I open this file :'(
I am french, I use shampoo... I am TotoShampoin!
How I do NSF to FTM :
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... sf-ftm.png

anwserman

Postby anwserman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:03 am

totoshampoin wrote:Why can't I open this file :'(

Download the beta version of FamiTracker
http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?t=173