Clash with the Thunder King (VRC6), 6/10ths Finished

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
MechaGrapefruit

Clash with the Thunder King (VRC6), 6/10ths Finished

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Added a bunch to this, so I thought I'd post it in a new topic, rather than unearth the old one (where people seemed to be downloading the very first version rather than scroll down), and there's enough added that it seems justified. Still going to add in a few more boss tunes (they take me longer than sin to get right), credits/opening, menu themes, and possibly another act's worth of level themes. Let me know if you have any suggestions, critiques, compliments, hate mail, or fun facts about Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu (I always enjoy new fun facts about Nicolae Ceaușescu)

EDIT: VERSION BELOW HAS BEEN UPDATED
EDIT: IT'S BEEN UPDATED AGAIN, 0.almost is the most recent version (also in the last comment)

Clash with the Thunder King 0.almost.ftm
Nicolae hated freedom and chocolate
(415.88 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by MechaGrapefruit on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

Captain Asuka

Re: Clash with the Thunder King (VRC6), 6/10ths Finished

Postby Captain Asuka » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:35 pm

I really like what you ended up doing with The Dancing Dark, it sounds a lot better. Everything sounds really good. The only gripe I have is that Bells Toll Electric feels like it should be slower to be a more somber moment. Great stuff.

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:03 am

Finished the titular song, added another boss theme, and threw in an encouraging death riff. I may add another Act's worth of material, but if I don't, I'm just going to add a few motifs, an opening, credits, game over, and menu theme.
Slowed down Bells Toll Electric a titch as well.
(The new module is in the first comment)
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -

MagicSpider

Postby MagicSpider » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:20 am

It's just awesome. Everything sounds perfect !

EDIT: How have you made this ? I'm trying the same but my musics are very awful.

LokiStriker

Postby LokiStriker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:25 pm

Awesome progressions, bass lines that feel up to the level of them, some more elavorated than other, tho very good over all, nice work on drums, and personally I heard Electrofantasia a while ago, and forgot where I heard that begining melody, now... that is always a good sign. The only thing I feel displeasure, tho is just my opinion, is that the final boss theme is too short for its own sake, usually final bosses themes tend to be longer and have more melody in them, tho the work so far in the last edit is very good. Is a overall very good OST

Tho, you should already know this as I find it really quickly after I did a "google search" on Nicolae Ceausescu and learn about him... I find this fact quite hilarious he being ho he was...

It is said that Nicolae Ceausescu was really shy around women. At one time, in Africa, two topless dancers came to impress him but he couldn’t even look at them.
You always knew my weak spot, and you knew my breaking point...
Oh... how you loved to kill me...

SoundCloud.com/lokistriker

Solomonster

Postby Solomonster » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:08 am

Do you have a SoundCloud or some other place to archive your stuff? It's very good so I worry some people might try steal it if it's not easy find.

graypesoda

Postby graypesoda » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 am

DANG dude. Like seriously, I don't usually comment on peoples' work because not much catches my interest like this soundtrack here has. Fantastic work, you definitely know what you're doing. The jazzy melodies and hectic boss battles are done very well and are varied and interesting.

My only complaint is that many of the songs "blend" together into a giant wall of sound, which makes the individual parts a little difficult to hear, in my honest opinion. However, the final boss theme does not have this problem, so I'd suggest doing whatever mixing things you did with that tune to all of some of the others and you'll be solid. I've listened to each track in each song individually, and really wish I could hear them more prominently when everything is going on at once! That's all my advice and I hope you took my critique in a non-offensive way, because all in all, this soundtrack sincerely blew my socks right off!!!

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks for the responses, all! I've enjoyed working on this a lot, and I've decided to add at least another act of material. Maybe one day I'll pursue making a game based on it, who knows? Addressing comments:
Graypesoda: That's a fair concern. The speakers I have are not great, so I think I probably defaulted a little loud on a lot of the mixing. I have some earbuds now (not bad, but a start - poor college student), and I'm hearing what you're describing. I may have a tendency to overcomplicate/add too many parts as well, so I'm gonna work on the mixing/a bit of the composition. My strategy with the bassline has been to always default the triangle channel two octaves higher than the sawtooth, but it might be leading to some of that clutter - may just keep it one octave above, aside from certain bass riffs.
Solomonster: Just saw your messages as well. I'm not wildly familiar with SoundCloud or how to use it, so I haven't really broached it. I'm not to0 worried about plagiarism, but mostly because this is a hobby for me - if I thought it were good enough to protect at any point, I might look into it.
LokiStriker: Working on a few of the basslines, and I'm going to either add a few more frames to Clash (it is the titular theme, after all) or add another phase to the boss (and accompanying theme - probably something more serious/reminiscent of the leitmotif for the Thunder King that I'm working on). Probably both. Also, I had never heard that fact about Nicolae. God, that's wonderfully absurd.
MagicSpider: Took a lot of time. Some of these tracks are things I'd tried years ago but didn't have the experience to make well. If you want to see how bad I was when I started, you can find an example of the first things I composed in the "Stellar Storm" thread. Just takes time.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -

graypesoda

Postby graypesoda » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:11 am

Ahh headphones makes sense! That's a big factor in mixing stuff!!! I'd say mixing volume / timbres is one of my stronger points, and I'd be glad to help you out if you want! If you're interested in me giving you tips, message me on skype @ graypesoda. Also I think I'll need YOU to give me some tips on how to make such rockin' tunes! :D

MagicSpider

Postby MagicSpider » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:49 am

Wow, dude. You first music "Stellar Storm BEFORE" is just awesome. Me, since 5 months, I can't make what you have done. I can you give me all your critics about my musics please ?

Return to “Original Music”