Unnamed Game Soundtrack (VRC6)(BETA 0.5)[WIP]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Strate

Unnamed Game Soundtrack (VRC6)(BETA 0.5)[WIP]

Postby Strate » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:25 pm

I've been working on a vertical-scrolling shoot-em-up game for a few months. I have been designing the sprites, writing the code, and of course, making the music. So far I have 6 tracks and 2 jingles completed, so I feel that's enough to ask for some feedback on it.

Each stage and its respective boss has a weapon theme, so I tried to make each song fit its weapon. The boss songs also incorporate parts of their respective stage music.

What do you think of the soundtrack so far?

[UPDATED VERSION BELOW]
Attachments
Unnamed OST v0.1.ftm
(63.67 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by Strate on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strate

Re: Unnamed Game Soundtrack (VRC6)(BETA 0.5)[WIP]

Postby Strate » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Well, I've been working on it some more. There are 2 new songs and some major changes to Aurora, as well as minor changes to the other songs.
Attachments
Unnamed OST v0.20.ftm
(79.69 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

ZachJac

Postby ZachJac » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:39 am

What you have so far is great, I hope you continue to add on to it! There's some really solid pieces in here that I really like, specifically the updated version of Aurora. I really like the instruments you used in that one. Although I also think your tracks might benefit from DPCM samples, just to help the drums sound more complete.
Ha! You just wasted your time trying to read this tiny text!

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:57 pm

Well, you do know how to compose a tune, and I especially love Fireworks. However, I noticed that a lot of notes are placed strangely. You should use lower speeds and less rows so you can organize your music better. I've attached an example of how that can be done.
Attachments
Unnamed OST v0.20.ftm
edited version
(6.71 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

TheNoobHunter

Postby TheNoobHunter » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:36 am

Your music is really good, but I think it would be better if Launch and Fireworks traded places. Fireworks is my favorite and I think it works better as an epic level 1 theme than launch

Strate

Postby Strate » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 pm

@ZachJac
I might look for some royalty free drum samples eventually. I've never used the DPCM track before so I'm kind of hesitant to start with this. I'll try and see how it goes once the soundtrack is finished.

@MiniMacro
I usually feel more comfortable using high speeds and more rows, and I find it really difficult to use alternating speeds most of the time. I tried making one of the songs on a lower speed but I think I'll just go back to the usual.

@TheNoobHunter
I'm probably going to end up making Fireworks the new stage 1 theme. What I'm wondering is whether I should keep Launch or scrap it and make a new song for stage 2. Do you think Launch measures up to the rest of the songs? I find it to be the weakest one personally.

On that note, there's about 3 new songs coming soon.

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:21 am

Here are some great free drum samples! http://drumsamples.org/ I use them all the time, and are really versatile.

EDIT: I made a DPCM tutorial! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EffoY2ntyM&feature=youtu.be
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Strate

Postby Strate » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:29 am

Big update!

Unnamed OST v0.40.ftm
Lots of new stuff
(133.91 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

New songs added:

- Title Screen
- Options Menu
- Explosive Weapons Stage (replaces old one)
- Explosive Weapons Boss (replaces old one)
- Homing Weapons Boss
- Needle Weapons Stage
- Final Boss Intro maybe?

Stage 1 songs were replaced by the previous Stage 2A songs (explosives). The old ones are still in the file but won't be used in the game.

Oh and the stage clear and all clear jingles were modified slightly.

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 am

Hey, just gave this a listen. There's some pretty cool stuff here - I'm really a fan of that first boss theme in particular.
A few general thoughts (and if you want more specific notes, I'm glad to give them, though if not, I'll take no offense - I'm no expert here): a couple factors are contributing to several of the songs sounding very similar. I'd play more with varying up the duty cycles, especially for the VRC6 Pulse channels. The tempo also is very similar across songs, which leads to similar beats, which leads to a lack of variation. I'd play with some new paces with regards to tempo, beat, as well as melodically. On this latter issue, I think throwing in some grace notes and arpeggios would help greatly, as well as playing a little bit with some of those melodies - the melody doesn't have to be super driven (and that appears to be intentionally not the case, which is totally fine), but as is, they're blending together a bit.
This said, I like a lot of the general sound - a lot of tracks almost resemble Danoocts' (sp?) 8-bit Sonic covers, which I adore. Nice work, and I want to hear where this goes!
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

Strate

Postby Strate » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:18 pm

Yeah, changing the tempo is something I'm kind of dreading but I know I have to do it or else everything will sound the same. The problem is I'm not sure how to do it properly. I guess I'll just have to experiment until I find a beat that sounds good.

I might attempt to use arpeggios in the next stage's song and maybe less sustained notes.

Also, if you want to give more specific notes go right ahead, any advice is welcome, though I can't guarantee my capacity to follow it.

Return to “Original Music”