[2A03] Recca Style: SUPERNOVA

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Lum

[2A03] Recca Style: SUPERNOVA

Postby Lum » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:01 am

I was playing Summer Carnival '92: Recca recently and was really mesmerized by the soundtrack. It's way ahead of its time. I know it can be an acquired taste though, some people love it, others hate it. That's fine, I personally really enjoyed it. So I did some research into how the songs were composed, imported the soundtrack and took notes, and by the end of it I really felt I wanted to make something in a similar style.

So here it is, SUPERNOVA. My comfort zone is more melodic pieces, a major contrast to Recca's hard, dissonant sound, but this was fun to make and I feel like I learned a lot.

Make sure you turn the bass up :)

Edit: Just realized I made this a beta module by accident. Should be openable in 0.4.6 now.

Recca_Style_SUPERNOVA.ftm
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Recca_Style_SUPERNOVA.nsf
(12.59 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by Lum on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

FloppyDisk

Re: [2A03] Recca Style: SUPERNOVA

Postby FloppyDisk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:11 am

Yeah, you definitely captured that Recca style alright, good job! Recca's OST is very much an acquired taste, and one that I actually enjoy.

The only gripe I have with the song the same one I have with Recca's soundtrack (and is therefore a byproduct of using the style); it's repetitive. Some of Recca's songs alleviated this by changing up the song after one or two loops, best heard around the 2 minute mark of the second stage's theme (which is incidentally my favorite song), but other than that it's head-bangin' :)
Don't copy that floppy!

I have a Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbvooz ... NbuSAKbn5w
There's pretty much nothing there, but y'know, just in case.

Lum

Postby Lum » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:36 am

FloppyDisk wrote:Yeah, you definitely captured that Recca style alright, good job! Recca's OST is very much an acquired taste, and one that I actually enjoy.

The only gripe I have with the song the same one I have with Recca's soundtrack (and is therefore a byproduct of using the style); it's repetitive. Some of Recca's songs alleviated this by changing up the song after one or two loops, best heard around the 2 minute mark of the second stage's theme (which is incidentally my favorite song), but other than that it's head-bangin' :)

Thanks! :D

I can see how someone might find it repetitive. At least it's faithful to the source? :P But at some point I'll try to comb through it and add some variations, reduce the repetition a bit.

FloppyDisk

Postby FloppyDisk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:42 am

You're welcome!
How did you get the instruments to sound so accurate, though?
Don't copy that floppy!

I have a Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbvooz ... NbuSAKbn5w
There's pretty much nothing there, but y'know, just in case.

Lum

Postby Lum » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:03 am

I used NSFImporter to examine a few songs and took note of the common things. Actually, I left in a bunch of notes about little things I noticed in the module comments, so take a look at that to get a better idea of how it all works. :)