Loki's big post (VRC7) (0.5b) - (Update #2)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
LokiStriker

Loki's big post (VRC7) (0.5b) - (Update #2)

Postby LokiStriker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:11 am

------------------------------------------Why This Post-----------------------------------------
I had at some point submitted a post to ask about where to head now music-wise with all my songs in one big file.
(I was recommended to use more the 2A03 side but, tho I have used it, I still feel that the sound that forms with the
VRC7 songs is not always what I look for... This is the main reason most of my songs are exclusively using the VRC7 Channels)
And I kept doing that, putting all of them (most of them, really) in that one file.

I want to use this post to receive feedback about the songs mainly, be it just a little comment over one song,
or the whole file, its really appreciated, and ofc, criticize its always welcomed.

Disclaimer: Some songs aren't meant to be complete pieces, Falling Star its one of them,
It was aimed more for a transition sequence or something similar. Another would be Bluegrass Meadow.
Most of these songs that don't a melody line, they are meant to set a mood, rather than standing by themselfs.

(The songs with a " * " at the end of them means that the song is either unfinished or I still feel it could improve in a way [Or a complete rework...])

------------------------------------December/16/Update #2----------------------------
New Songs
---Track #12 : Hexed (13-300)
----------------This is a track I made a while ago, back in 2015, but I always felt there was something missing to it.
----------------Maybe it was my idea of making each song a world to their own
---Track #26 : Wrong Place, Wrong Time
----------------This is one of two songs I would love to make a separate post on the future, "A look into the use of leitmotiv's".
----------------It brings the second line of one of my favorites tracks on this "OST", which is "Dance with me", but in a very different context and different prog.
---Track #27 : White Trees
----------------A rework of "Allie's Theme", but with a sight different feel to it.
---Track #29 : Duality
----------------Born from the experimentation of "make a song from this weird thing!", this being a prog of D#maj7no5 and D#mmaj7.
----------------Basically playing with the same chord on minor and mayor, alternating between them.
---Track #30 : Sweet and Sour
----------------A waltz with some jazzy chords, the name has to do with lyrics I wrote for it, but it also reflects that in the section A,
----------------the two first chords are kinda sour or unpleasant to the ear, but the other two are more mellow and sweet
---Track #31 : The song that we sang
----------------This is the second song that also experiments with the leitmotiv, bringing the first melody of "Dance with me" to a more slow and calmed prog.
---Track #32 : Aluminum Heart
----------------I mixed a futuristic sound with jazz chords, thinking of robots... basically.
---Track #33 : Curiosity
----------------It started with me playing around with an F chord on a piano, and it went from there.
---Track #34 : Shall we dream together?
----------------Just a short, slow soothing song. C-Am-Dm-G in broad terms.

There are some songs that are too large (contain many custom instruments) that I didn't put on this file.
Most of them have been published.

---Track #28 : Unfinished/Untitled
----------------Still on the works.
Last edited by LokiStriker on Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
You always knew my weak spot, and you knew my breaking point...
Oh... how you loved to kill me...

SoundCloud.com/lokistriker

The Caller

Re: Loki's big post (VCR7) (0.5b)

Postby The Caller » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 pm

I must say, this "soundtrack" makes me really happy.

I really like the cheerful and mellow aspect most songs have, especially "Bluegrass Meadow Under the Moonlight" (jeez, now that's a mouthful). It's probably my favourite track. I think the main melody on that song is very moody, and I can easily see where you were trying to go with it.

I also like "Room". It's very simple, but I think that's a good thing. Simplicity sometimes is the better way to go with a song.

But overall, excellent job. The melodies were executed with a lot of precision, that's for a fact.

Joblez_I

Postby Joblez_I » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:56 am

As a big fan of your work, this definitely put a big smile on my face to see. Each track is very good in its own unique way, and I'm looking forward to whatever improvements you make on these songs and whatever songs you will post in the future. Keep up the good work.
I like the chips and the tunes
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJ-If ... N1KknMZTpA (I rarely upload to youtube btw, I'd really recommend listening to my soundcloud if you want my stuff)

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/joblez_i

LokiStriker

Postby LokiStriker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:24 am

The Caller wrote:I must say, this "soundtrack" makes me really happy.

I really like the cheerful and mellow aspect most songs have, especially "Bluegrass Meadow Under the Moonlight" (jeez, now that's a mouthful). It's probably my favourite track. I think the main melody on that song is very moody, and I can easily see where you were trying to go with it.

I also like "Room". It's very simple, but I think that's a good thing. Simplicity sometimes is the better way to go with a song.

But overall, excellent job. The melodies were executed with a lot of precision, that's for a fact.

Thanks, I really appreciate comments like this. Each song has their own little story. Im really glad you find BMUM (Thats the way I call it for simplicity), thats one of the more risky songs I've done and never felt completely sure about. And Room its one of my first piano-esque songs, one that is really close to me.

Joblez_I wrote:As a big fan of your work, this definitely put a big smile on my face to see. Each track is very good in its own unique way, and I'm looking forward to whatever improvements you make on these songs and whatever songs you will post in the future. Keep up the good work.

Reading this fills my heart with joy. Thank you very much *bows with deep respect*

FloppyDisk

Postby FloppyDisk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:38 am

You sir, are an inspiration.
Also, that first song reminds me of music on ad lib soundcards, kinda like space quest 3's soundtrack.
Don't copy that floppy!

I have a Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbvooz ... NbuSAKbn5w
There's pretty much nothing there, but y'know, just in case.

MegaManBoss

Postby MegaManBoss » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:20 pm

This is amazing work, Loki. Every song has a unique flavor and their own atmosphere around it. I believe that I've heard some of those songs before. Probably on the old Famitracker Forums. (*sigh* good ol' times.)

Anyways, best of luck to you and keep up the great work!
Yes, just your typical guy that designs video games and whatnot.
SoundCloud: Sound Pulse
First Game: Jump Ball: Fortress of Evil

meinerHeld

Postby meinerHeld » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:00 am

I could listen to "fire" for a long time. And I did. :]

There's something simply immersing and very retro about your music. I too like to get back to those early days. The music in the University

https://youtu.be/VqoArADA8Lc?t=5m13s

in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is definitely a favorite of mine. My stuff isn't as smooth as what I've heard of yours; it's more hard-edged sometimes, but still humble, I hope. I have some music on this topic in the forum too, and I really hope you check it out, and also tell me how you think I could improve. I provide a couple links, but other stuff can be found by searching for posts I made. :geek:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2831&p=18771#p18771

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2701&p=18308&hilit=smorgasbord#p18249

LokiStriker

Postby LokiStriker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:49 am

FloppyDisk wrote:You sir, are an inspiration.
Also, that first song reminds me of music on ad lib soundcards, kinda like space quest 3's soundtrack.

So, because I wasnt alive at the time of those, I find it really interesting how similar some aproaches of the exclusive use of the FM can be quite similar to it. And your words are too kind, thank you.

MegaManBoss wrote:This is amazing work, Loki. Every song has a unique flavor and their own atmosphere around it. I believe that I've heard some of those songs before. Probably on the old Famitracker Forums. (*sigh* good ol' times.)

Anyways, best of luck to you and keep up the great work!

The old forums~! Good ol' days... And yeah, the song "While Im still alive" is the oldest from the group of songs, and it was posted in a "Friendly Competition" I arranged. From there I started delving more and more into the VCR7, those were the days...
And thank you for your compliments. I try to capture different feelings in each song, some of them might be similar 'cause they come from the same feeling, tho human emotion is very complex and gives room to create many pieces from the same feeling.

meinerHeld wrote:I could listen to "fire" for a long time. And I did. :]

There's something simply immersing and very retro about your music. I too like to get back to those early days. The music in the University

https://youtu.be/VqoArADA8Lc?t=5m13s

in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is definitely a favorite of mine. My stuff isn't as smooth as what I've heard of yours; it's more hard-edged sometimes, but still humble, I hope. I have some music on this topic in the forum too, and I really hope you check it out, and also tell me how you think I could improve. I provide a couple links, but other stuff can be found by searching for posts I made. :geek:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2831&p=18771#p18771

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2701&p=18308&hilit=smorgasbord#p18249

Fire is one piece that was build upon a calmed chaos, but its a piece very close to me. I honestly try to capture the best sound out of the resources I have, I tend to not resort to the 2A03 too much given that the sound of it is too square (ba-dum-tss~), so I try to use it to give it more weigh on a song. Tho, (Id would say everyone) at some point I did only use 2A03 and I feel that some of the sounds you make are good. I honestly really like "This tavern serves grape-juice", such a nice song. I honestly feel you have potential and should keep making more. I find "Healdsburg" quite good as well, and its because im more about the melodic aproach to songs, which brings me to "Fireplace sparks", I had the song playing from like 2 mins and I didn't feel the loop, for me thats usually a good indicator of a song, and I get the objective of the song having a campfire and the wood cracking. Im honestly not so fan of the sound limitations towards that approach of the sound, to I have to say you've done a good job at capturing the sound. I had the song play for 5 mins or so and I enjoyed, not on a enthusiastic level, but no where near "I dislike it".

If you ask me to give you a direction to improve upon, I would say "Get some expansion chips!" but its because I like having lots of options and its more of a personal taste thing. So aside from that, I would say, try to keep working on melodies, try to work on songs with arpeggios in the instruments, name your instruments if you have more than one, it usually helps if someone is reviewing your song and tries to understand your approach and see what you are doing. Aside from that, keep working more into it.

meinerHeld

Postby meinerHeld » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:11 pm

LokiStriker wrote:If you ask me to give you a direction to improve upon, I would say "Get some expansion chips!" but its because I like having lots of options and its more of a personal taste thing. So aside from that, I would say, try to keep working on melodies, try to work on songs with arpeggios in the instruments, name your instruments if you have more than one, it usually helps if someone is reviewing your song and tries to understand your approach and see what you are doing. Aside from that, keep working more into it.
[/quote]

LokiStriker, thanks for listening to more than one of my tunes. My style is not to everyone's taste, and I'm having trouble framing it well so as to get the listener to hear what I hear, so because of all this, double thank you. <3

I'm glad that fireplace sparks could be the ambience of your life, even for five minutes. :] I'm an adventurer at heart, and this tune also has that in an abstract sort of way.

As far as expansion chips, I like to stay with the early NES aesthetic--very unpopular in this forum so far, it seems, but I like it.

I hope to hear more stuff from you. I am taking your comments to heart and I might have more responses in the future. Cheers famifriend!

LokiStriker

Re: Loki's big post (VRC7) (0.5b)

Postby LokiStriker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:02 am

------------------------------------December/16/Update #2----------------------------