Like-A-Battle-Theme [20A3] [BETA5]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Gavzilla

Like-A-Battle-Theme [20A3] [BETA5]

Postby Gavzilla » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:06 pm

It's been a while, Famitracker... *opens application*

So, this song needs some background. I compose piano pieces in Fruity Loops in my spare time. It's a nice little hobby I do. I would urge anyone who composes in Famitracker try to compose for Piano or any other instrument. I think you'll like it. But anyway!--

I dubbed on of the pieces I made "LikeABattleTheme". (I added hyphons in the title of this post to make out the words better) I'm a huge fan of Beethoven's Third Movement of Moonlight Sonata (Opus 27 Nº 2 for all you music enthusiasts) and I really liked how Beethoven uses rapid and repeated bass notes to get a really nice sound, not even to mention the fast arpeggios that the song is mostly known for. I tried to create a song in that same style, fast playing and low bass notes, and that's how "LikeABattleTheme" was created. I have attatched the orignal file for anyone who wants to listen. (It's unfinished. I gave it an ending originally but removed it to extend the song. I do have a .wav file of the orginal ending, but this forum isn't a fan of uploading .wav files)

Starting about last week I was curious to how "LikeABattleTheme" would sound in Famitracker, so I decided to arrange it. Throughout most of the week I was deleting failed covers of the song. I was trying to just plop the notes into the tracker and expect everything to be good. That's not how that works. I realized that I should experiment more with the sounds I could create, instead of going for a more cliché instrument set. (It's ironic becuase I ended up using one instrument with a simple 15, 14, 13 volume effect. The rest was just effects!) I remembered listening to one of 8bitdanooct's trackers which contained a one channel echo and I really liked that sound. I didn't want to copy it completely (for that would be rude) so I experimented with it a little bit and bang! Pulse 1 of the first frame was finished! I now had a precident for how the song would sound so I was off to the races!

Time for my standard critique of the song.

The total song length is 1:46;1, which is about standard for most of my songs. I just can't seem to compose anything past two minutes. Well, I rather have it be good and short than long and bad.

What I'm really proud about is the lack of phazing in the song. Rarely can you hear notes clash and even when they do, it's barely noticable. I think that's huge for me, because that means I'm getting a hang of this whole "famitracker" mumbo jumbo! I also like how varietal Pulse 1, Pulse 2, and the Triangle are. I managed to have both Pulses (and even the Triangel!!) lead the song during one point, which I think is fantastic. Not only that, but I'm really proud of the last section of the song (17 - 1E). It was inspired by this section of Moonlight Sonata

The Noise channel could've been a little bit less state and mostly standard, but I think it served its purpose well in this song, so it gets a pass.

I understand that I just mentioned that I'm of everything passed frame 17, but I think the Triangle could be better. If anyone has any ideas on how the triangle could be used during that part, I would love to hear it!

One thing that I think I could've done better is organize and "clean up" the song a little better by using Dxx commands. When arranging the song, some of the measures overlap, meaning that I can't reuse most channel frames because they don't line up. I could've used the Dxx command to correct this, which I tried with the two Dxx commands in the song, but I realized that it was too late and just dealt with it.

So, that's all I really have to comment on. Any and all critique is appreciated! Hope you enjoy! :D
Attachments
LikeABattleTheme.ftm
(29.58 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
AlmostLikeABattleTheme.mp3
Original Piano Composition
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 48 times

LokiStriker

Re: Like-A-Battle-Theme [20A3] [BETA5]

Postby LokiStriker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:33 pm

I really enjoyed it, as a music enthusiast. Im a fan of classical music, and most definitely a fan of Ludwig and his whole work.
I can feel the classic style in your work, and it really amazes me the way you've captured it. It honestly inspires me to do something similar.
You've done a great work here and I would honestly recommend that you keep developing more of this style, its quite unique.
You always knew my weak spot, and you knew my breaking point...
Oh... how you loved to kill me...

SoundCloud.com/lokistriker

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:59 pm

I didn't like this at first, but it's grown on me. Nice job! I personally like the piano one better, but that's just my personal taste.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Gavzilla

Postby Gavzilla » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:10 pm

LokiStriker wrote:I really enjoyed it, as a music enthusiast. Im a fan of classical music, and most definitely a fan of Ludwig and his whole work.
I can feel the classic style in your work, and it really amazes me the way you've captured it. It honestly inspires me to do something similar.
You've done a great work here and I would honestly recommend that you keep developing more of this style, its quite unique.

Thanks so much for the reply LokiStriker! (You know, whenever I repeat someone's internet name it kinda makes me laugh. Imagine if you had to say something like that in real life? "Oh, hello there SexAppeal69! How have you been?")

I'm just starting to get into classical myself. Gustav Holt's "The Planets," Lizts' "Hungarion Raphsody Nº2," Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" and practically any of his symphonies. Vivaldi's "Spring" is a fantastic peice to listen too. (The rest of the seasons are good, but I enjoy Spring the most.) And not to mention, the one, the only, the (probably) dreaded, Pachelbel's dubbed "Canon in D." As you can see, I'm mostly listening to "popular" songs. Songs that would make it's way into popular culutre. "1812 Overture," "Turkish March," "Orpheus in the Underworld," I think you get the point. :lol:

One of Giuseppe Verdi's opera pieces (the name escapes my mind) is also pretty good, but I'm rambling at this rate!

I find it fascinating that you found a classical style in this .ftm. I could see that in the .mp3 because of the piano (which I can understand and hear also) but I thought the triangle and noise was sorta going to "ruin" that. I'm glad someone was able to see it through! It'll try to keep developing this style and post more as I finish!

Teuthida wrote:I didn't like this at first, but it's grown on me. Nice job! I personally like the piano one better, but that's just my personal taste.

I can totally understand if you didn't enjoy it, Teuthida! The piano piece was composed... for, well, piano! The chords, the sustain, the sounds of the piano itself really do make up a key part of the song. That's also another reason why it took me about a week to even start the song in Famitracker. I needed to try and find a way that I could bring that depth into famitracker. I once thought for Pulse 1 to make Pulse 2 it's echo and then use MMC5's two pulse channles for the second lead, but I turned that down to keep the four original channels and just trudge through it.

Actually, going back to what LokiStriker and I said about hearing the "classical" style, at the end of the piece (And I mean the very end of the piece) when it starts doing runs up the scale, that is actually taken directly from Beethoven's Third Movement of M.S. I just transposed the last two runs up a half-step (I had originally planned to make something like it, but original, and that was a part of the plan). So, there you go.

I do apologize that I didn't finish it! I just didn't know where else to go from where I was. The Famitracker is currently the finished song, and I think I'll keep it like that... I'm glad that you warmed up to it, but it's okay if you didn't like it! Not everybody is going to like and enjoy everything. I sure do like it! (But, some bias might be in play here... ;) )

meinerHeld

Postby meinerHeld » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:16 pm

I like the asymmetrical phrase or two you put in the first section. People practically worship 4+4 a lot; at least that's what I see.

I like how simple it all is. Lots of my stuff I try to go for the early NES sound, which I think is so transportive and magical.

Overall it's very energetic. Cool. :]

Gavzilla

Postby Gavzilla » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 am

meinerHeld wrote:I like the asymmetrical phrase or two you put in the first section. People practically worship 4+4 a lot; at least that's what I see.

I like how simple it all is. Lots of my stuff I try to go for the early NES sound, which I think is so transportive and magical.

Overall it's very energetic. Cool. :]

I'm glad that someone noticed my asymmetrical phraseing! I thought that would go unoticed...

As for the "4+4" comment you made, what exactly are you speaking off? I actually don't have a clue with this one... I do apologize.

LokiStriker

Postby LokiStriker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Gavzilla wrote:As for the "4+4" comment you made, what exactly are you speaking off? I actually don't have a clue with this one... I do apologize.

It's a reference to the classic time signature 4/4 (I feel)
It's true it's one of the most used so it's pretty noticeable when someone uses a different time signature.
Time signature is the rhythm of a song, it's like counting "1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4" on your rhythm. There's also the waltz signature: "1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3"

Oh and about listening to classical music, The Planets it's a really good piece IMO, my favorite is Venus, just because it's more like my style.

I would recommend some of the work of Chopin, like the Nocturne Op 9 Nr. 2, and some of the works of Debussy, like Clair de lune, both pretty well known pieces. And I have a personal favorite regarding mid-known symphonys, "Scheherazade" of Rimsky-Korsakov.
You always knew my weak spot, and you knew my breaking point...
Oh... how you loved to kill me...

SoundCloud.com/lokistriker

meinerHeld

Postby meinerHeld » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:52 am

Gavzilla wrote:As for the "4+4" comment you made, what exactly are you speaking off? I actually don't have a clue with this one... I do apologize.

4+4 would be the symmetrical phrasing it seems like most people think is the only right way. They worship it it seems like...

Return to “Original Music”