Judgement Day [VRC7]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
SeemsSoUnfair

Judgement Day [VRC7]

Postby SeemsSoUnfair » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:41 pm

No, this is not related in any way to the Terminator series. I just had in mind to make a theme about something dreadful and sad. This is the result.

I've been toying with the VRC7 custom patches and I'm still really impressed by how well the VRC7 can reproduce a real synth's sound. I made 3 patches for this one. It's almost 3mn long and don't hesitate to post suggestions and/or criticism.

(moderator note: Beta version of Famitracker required to play FTMs)

Judgement Day [VRC7].ftm
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

Judgement Day [VRC7] v2.ftm
(10.09 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by SeemsSoUnfair on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teuthida

Re: Judgement Day [VRC7]

Postby Teuthida » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:29 pm

While the VRC7 effects are amazing, I'm afraid that the melody's a little directionless and bland. I would give the pulse channels a longer sustain period so they have more effect.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

SeemsSoUnfair

Postby SeemsSoUnfair » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:12 pm

*v2 added to first post*
Thanks for replying. I think I got what you mean about the melody, in case you are talking about the piano chords. While writing this, I wasn't fairly sure which instrument was going to be the lead - piano or pulse 2? - and I guess I made the mistake to make the two instruments too distinct from each other, to the point that they are sounding unrelated because they are playing different melodies. I've then made the choice to have Pulse 2 as lead and made the piano "follow" it.
The v2 has a rewritten piano channel which should sound less directionless, as it is now an accompaniment to the Pulse 2 channel. Also, the first verse is repeated after the break, I hope it'll make the song more consistent (in addition if making it top at the 4 minutes mark). I don't really picture myself adding anything melody-wise after that; even if the melody has almost no progression, it does sound as I intended.
I'm not very comfortable with changing the sustain on Pulse 2 though, to my ears its sound is both pleasing and... disturbing, I probably wouldn't want to have it any longer. However I did add some extra frames to extend it.

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:26 pm

I listened to the second version. This is pretty good. The rhythm is still off at times (the beginning, especially), but other than that it's slow and somber and very well done. I suppose these days we've all been feeling a bit sad, have we?
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Return to “Original Music”