Original Thing [2A03]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Storm

Original Thing [2A03]

Postby Storm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:26 pm

So after over a year, I tried to make something original. Comments and criticism welcome.
Attachments
noidea.ftm
(19.4 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Threxx

Re: Original Thing [2A03]

Postby Threxx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:43 am

This is... a start.

The sound design needs a lot of work. The strong vibratos sound really weird and clash with the lead. Not a fan of how you're using the noise channel here, for reference, lower tones work best for kicks, middle tones work well for snares/toms, and higher tones work well for hats and crashes. Keep it consistent and your noise channel will sound more like percussion rather than just... noise.

The song itself is kinda bland. Lead doesn't seem to go anywhere, and the dissonance in places is readily apparent. I'd recommend studying more music theory, it would help your compositional skills tremendously.

I hope this wasn't too harsh, but I always feel it is better to be honest than to pander.

Storm

Postby Storm » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:50 am

Yeah, honesty definitely is more helpful. Thanks for the tips, but how exactly should I go about studying music theory?

FuzzyLizard530

Postby FuzzyLizard530 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:27 am

Personally, I kinda like it. Granted, I'm not any kind of professional, but I think it has a bit of a dramatic, foreign sound to it. Could be a cutscene, IMO.

Edit: Missed the second track. I think it's a tad repetitive, but has a "sneaking/mysterious" feel to it. Seems like it cuts off too soon, but it is marked as a WIP, so I can let that slide! LOL! :lol:
ollaxe wrote:This. Is. AMAZING!!! No, not sparta, what are you thinking with?

Ahornberg

Postby Ahornberg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:51 am

;) reminds me on Bach

Cat_of_Ananke

Postby Cat_of_Ananke » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:59 pm

I really think Space Explosion is quite nice, would listen to again :D 0C with the pulse 2 and the triangle is really very nice to listen to.
My only criticism has kind of already been made by Threxx, and that is that noise only percussion doesn't usually sound too great. Noise for cymbals and DPCM for drums is how I do things, though I guess you can do snares with noise, but I still think they sound a bit weak.
If this is your first thing with famitracker and you haven't learned how to DPCM yet then... please do! DPCM is very useful :)
this is where I should probably explain to you how DPCM works but I'm terrible at explanations so find out yourself, hahaha
You can call me Melony, Cat_of_Ananke's a bit of a weird name :p
My Soundcloud~

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:17 am

Cat_of_Ananke wrote:I really think Space Explosion is quite nice, would listen to again :D 0C with the pulse 2 and the triangle is really very nice to listen to.
My only criticism has kind of already been made by Threxx, and that is that noise only percussion doesn't usually sound too great. Noise for cymbals and DPCM for drums is how I do things, though I guess you can do snares with noise, but I still think they sound a bit weak.
If this is your first thing with famitracker and you haven't learned how to DPCM yet then... please do! DPCM is very useful :)
this is where I should probably explain to you how DPCM works but I'm terrible at explanations so find out yourself, hahaha

The problem is not the use of noise-only percussion, the problem is the way he is using the pitches and the noise.

Supplementing with the triangle channel also helps.

Return to “Original Music”