How to progress from here?

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
ChadBro2206

How to progress from here?

Postby ChadBro2206 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:40 am

I think I have gotten a bit of a handle on the basics, and I'm really just looking for suggestions on how to advance from here in terms of using FT and just musically in general. Any suggestions are welcome! And here are a couple of my originals as a basis of where I'm at. Thanks! :)
Attachments
JamesStrang.ftm
(101.66 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Oliver Cowdery.ftm
(90.81 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
joseph.ftm
(46.87 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
And it came to pass...

LokiStriker

Re: How to progress from here?

Postby LokiStriker » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:10 pm

As I usually tend to use more the VCR7 expansion, I dont usually feel entitled to critize too much the 20A3 soundchip
That being said, I still feel I could give you some recommendation music-wise.
I would totally recommend learning keys, mayors and minors, I feel that specially on Oliver Cowdery,
that track has lots of dissonants, not saying you shouldn't use them, but Its something that is not easy to pull off.
Mixing its a big one you need on your work.

I feel that your best job its Joseph, its slightly catchy and for the most part, pleasant to hear.
It has a nice progression, I like that you have different sound for the leads, and that you have a rest at the end.
(which is actually the intro but when looping it feels like the rest of the end of the song)
I would recommend that if you have any type of music or bands you like, try to learn what they are doing in there,
try to translate that into the Famitracker, and learn from it, and then implement it in your work.
Good job and keep famitracking, I feel that you have potential.

(And Ps: Im not sure what type of music style you aiming, but I feel that having expansion chips its always great,
my favorite its the VCR7, but not all are into that one, If you really like the sound of the 20A3, you should work
with the VCR6 expansion chip. Its very similar in a way, and it gives you more room.)
You always knew my weak spot, and you knew my breaking point...
Oh... how you loved to kill me...

SoundCloud.com/lokistriker

TheNoobHunter

Postby TheNoobHunter » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Joseph is my favorite as well. Another easy expansion chip to pick up is MMC5, which adds 2 more 2a03 pulse channels. The advantage of using it over VRC6 is that it sounds a lot closer to NES hardware but can still give it a fuller sound, if that's the style you're going for. It's also directly compatible with 2a03 instruments, which is convenient.

ChadBro2206

Postby ChadBro2206 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 am

Thank you very much for the input. It's difficult sometimes to judge your own work when you are so familiar with it. As for dissonants, I'm not entirely sure where you mean, but my ear isn't quite as keen as I'd like.

I've been doing some casual studying up on music in general (including anazlying sheet music of songs I love), but I think that should be more of a focus now then. My approach is to find chord progressions I think sound interesting and going from there. I assume that's a common starting place?

I'll definitely go get some of these expansions and give them a whirl. I really appreciate the listen throughs and the feedback!

P.S. I am really enjoying your stuff on SoundCloud, lokistriker. And I appreciate the Lennon pic.
And it came to pass...

LokiStriker

Postby LokiStriker » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:04 pm

ChadBro2206 wrote:P.S. I am really enjoying your stuff on SoundCloud, lokistriker. And I appreciate the Lennon pic.

Lennon is my hero, music-wise. And thank you *bows slightly*.

ChadBro2206 wrote: My approach is to find chord progressions I think sound interesting and going from there. I assume that's a common starting place?

In my own personal experience, yes. I tend to find a nice prog in a song I like, try to learn it in guitar, which is the instrument I practice and write with,
and from then, analyze and discompose. From then I can get ideas or just copy the prog itself, most likely in another key, and in a different context as well.
As an example, I have a song by the name of "Dance with me" which is one of the few works I've done that I feel really proud of.
That song attempts a jazzy tone, tho not completely. The thing to it is that the prog came from 2 different "bossa-nova" songs and a plus I made.

So, finding progs you like is a really good start, from them, once you delve more and more into music, you will see progs you like and start experimenting with them.
You always knew my weak spot, and you knew my breaking point...
Oh... how you loved to kill me...

SoundCloud.com/lokistriker