A Bit Axe-essive (MMC5 + FDS)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Cwshugg

A Bit Axe-essive (MMC5 + FDS)

Postby Cwshugg » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:47 am

Hi everyone!

I'm beginning to develop a game (in the very early stages of development). Pretty much writing music, writing down ideas and drawing some sprites.

The .ftm I've attached will be the battle theme of (to keep it simple:) a slightly-mental axe-wielding commander of a royal fleet. You stumble into combat with him after attempting to steal a ship to escape. So, as you can imagine, he probably isn't too happy.

Hopefully I set the scene right - I'd like to think my composing is slowly getting better, so I'd love any criticism and advice. I also want to say in advance that I think the percussion could use some major work - some of it seems like random notes spewed on the page - so I would really appreciate some advice regarding that.

Thanks!
Attachments
Battle1 (A Bit Axe-essive).ftm
(20.08 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

FloppyDisk

Re: A Bit Axe-essive (MMC5 + FDS)

Postby FloppyDisk » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:24 pm

I like the intro, but it sounds very empty, needs more substance. The rest of the song has a good direction and I like the melody, but it isn't executed that well. It's almost excessively loud, I understand it's a battle, but keep the volume a bit lower (the percussion in particular is very loud, but that might be intentional). I do like the beat from frame 24 onward.
The things I think you should focus on are the instrumentation and channel usage, make the instruments sound unique and interesting, and use the other channels to your advantage (chords, leads, etc). Good luck with your game and composing!
Don't copy that floppy!

I have a Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbvooz ... NbuSAKbn5w
There's pretty much nothing there, but y'know, just in case.