A thread for the Mission 9000 soundtrack

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
BBLIR

Re: A thread for the Mission 9000 soundtrack

Postby BBLIR » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Updated main post.
MagicSpider wrote:2) There is a lot of phasing and dissonances, even if some melodies may be good (Example: Song #8, frame 02)

MagicSpider wrote:3) The OST has problem with dynamics, it also makes the music unpleasant and noisy.

Sorry, but I don't understand what that means. I don't have much music knowledge, and I prefer Upgrading my art talent than taking time to study music, even though it's not my field.
Also; some of these tracks were originally MIDI files, which might be a reason for some of these issues.
MagicSpider wrote:But if you want more help, go here: https://discord.gg/MkZEE

I don't have a Discord account and I think I heard something about payment and I'm not really sure.

I am also aware of the clashing in The Choice, Tyrus Drones, Mech Vulpp, etc. I know about the Bxx and Gxx effects, but I'm not good at using them yet.

TheJuanCarlos64

Postby TheJuanCarlos64 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Discord is 100% Free!

:D
WARNING: OLD ACCOUNT
Sorry for the Old Username :/

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm

There is a paid version of Discord, but you don't need it at all. It just has some extra features.

As for MagicSpider's critiques, allow me to explain...

Phasing refers to when two channels play the same note(the octave doesn't matter). It creates a 'muffled' sound that hurts sound quality. Removing it is somewhat complex and depends on the exact note that's phasing, but in short, it involves Pxx. I have a tutorial on my YouTube channel that explains the details of the process.

Dissonance refers to how your notes are combining. When notes are at 1, 6, and 15 semitones apart, they song ugly. There are a few other intervals that caused a more minor form of dissonance, but it's not as bad at the above 3 intervals. While controlled dissonance can lead to great music, your dissonance is clearly based more on poor placement of notes. To remove this, just rework the dissonant lines so that they form more consonant intervals.

Dynamics is volume, basically. I'm not sure exactly what MS meant, but either your song is flat volume-wise(not many changes in it) or it poorly balanced, making certain parts too loud or soft. I don't even need to explain how to fix this one.

Also, your general attitude(colored text, changing your avatar to a depressed-looking one) is not helping your case. It just makes you look really desperate and whiny. I am trying to help you.

My YouTube channel has a short series on effects. It's not done yet, but it has most of what you need help on(still working on Gxx though)
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

BBLIR

Postby BBLIR » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Updated main post.
Also, Teuthida, I understand you're trying to help me, but that is pretty much useless if I'm not able to do as you say.
Music is not my field, it's visual art. I don't have trouble with calligraphy, but I can barely make a 'bleh' melody. That's just how it is.
About my behaviour; I'm trying to explain what I'm even doing here: I'm not here for criticism, I'm here to ask for help with my game. I'm not able to compose the 51 songs in chapter 1. I'm not able. Giving the soundtrack progress was a bad idea, wasn't it...
And the reason for my behaviour here is no-one here understands that and I get absolutely frustrated when someone replies wrong.
And read the entire thing carefully before replying.

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:15 am

Giving the unfinished soundtrack probably wasn't your best move. By doing so(along with not making the OP look like a request for music) you made it seem as though you would finish it on your own, with contributions being more of a "fan bonus" thing. Furthermore, by not having any actual game to show(except for art and such), you are making people more wary of adding music. This forum is general is pretty wary of people asking for music without any software to back it up, as evidenced by several other threads here.

What I'd do is take a break from posting until the game is made(or at least semi-complete). People will be more willing to add content then.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Infini

Postby Infini » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 pm

I don't know why I named the file like that~
Attachments
tower_man.ftm
I don't know why I named the file like that~
(12.23 KiB) Downloaded 58 times