Delver's Determination [5B]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
aishi

Delver's Determination [5B]

Postby aishi » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Hey FTers,

This is my 2nd project done in Famitracker (0.5 BETA 2) and my 3rd finished chip music piece. If you have the time and could possibly help give me insight on what you would think would help with my production (composition critiques welcomed too), that would be really great.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Here's a version that's being used in a game I arranged with added violin and piano https://soundcloud.com/aaron-ishibashi/delvers-determination-for-violin-piano-and-famicom-5b edit: (there's a piccolo I forgot to take out haha)
Attachments
Delver's Determination.ftm
(44.53 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Shywolf

Re: Delver's Determination [5B]

Postby Shywolf » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:06 pm

Some things:

• The 5B seems prone to becoming more noticeably detuned than the RP2A03 when using the Pxx effect, so I would advise against using it as frequently as you are in this piece. In one example, there's a hanging P82 that enters 5B channel 3 in frame 0x0F, where it sounds super off-key.
  • There are a few parts of this song where there's no bass playing, or in the intro where the 5B "bass" is playing but at a really low volume (0x0A), and the song sounds empty.
  • In frames 0x03+0x04 and 0x0F+0x10, two 5B channels are doing delay echo, but 5B channel 3 should be at a lower volume (instead of the same volume) for a good effect. I notice you're already doing this properly with the RP2A03 in some other areas of the song.
  • The transition between frames 0x18 and 0x19 feels too abrupt.
Besides those issues, I like this track. Lovely chords and chord progression.

aishi

Postby aishi » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Shywolf wrote:Some things:

• The 5B seems prone to becoming more noticeably detuned than the RP2A03 when using the Pxx effect, so I would advise against using it as frequently as you are in this piece. In one example, there's a hanging P82 that enters 5B channel 3 in frame 0x0F, where it sounds super off-key.
  • There are a few parts of this song where there's no bass playing, or in the intro where the 5B "bass" is playing but at a really low volume (0x0A), and the song sounds empty.
  • In frames 0x03+0x04 and 0x0F+0x10, two 5B channels are doing delay echo, but 5B channel 3 should be at a lower volume (instead of the same volume) for a good effect. I notice you're already doing this properly with the RP2A03 in some other areas of the song.
  • The transition between frames 0x18 and 0x19 feels too abrupt.

Hey Shywolf, thanks for your time. I'll make a sweep through my piece to check through your list.
I did notice that the 5B must also have a wave output as long as the triangle wave since it also transposes down an octave. I tried using PXX to flatten it when it was too sharp (it seems that going flat sounds less out of tune), but I should probably check through again to make sure I cancel it out where you said.

Besides those issues, I like this track. Lovely chords and chord progression.

Thank you!

Ahornberg

Postby Ahornberg » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:30 pm

great track! 5B seems to be interesting.

Return to “Original Music”