Overdrive (VRC6)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
H_Mister

Overdrive (VRC6)

Postby H_Mister » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Happy new year everyone!!! Here's a new a track that i made to celebrate the new year hope you enjoy it.
Attachments
Overdrive.ftm
(50.78 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

Xyz

Re: Overdrive (VRC6)

Postby Xyz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Whoa was not expecting this
Could use some variety in not having the melody stay on V01 the entire way through. Also noise channel could be spruced up a little with 0xy/1xy/2xy/Qxy/Rxy effects.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:52 pm

This is really good! I really enjoyed it.
I have a few "imperfections" I would like to point out though.
First off, there are a lot of clashing notes, partly due to the echos lacking any detune compared to what they're echoing. Try placing a slight detune with the Pxx effect in the places where the same note is playing on multiple channels and it should sound a bit cleaner.
I also feel that the bass is too quiet, especially the triangle. You really have to listen closely to hear the bassline, which is kind of annoying. I suggest you lower the volume of the pulse channels. I also think the DPCM drums you're using are a bit muddy and a bit loud. The fact that they're so muddy makes it hard for the lower end of the bass to come through, especially on speakers.

As I said, I really like the song. You did a really good job. The melodies are great, the chords are great and the instrumentation, though simple, works really well in my opinion.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

H_Mister

Postby H_Mister » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:27 pm

ollaxe wrote:This is really good! I really enjoyed it.
I have a few "imperfections" I would like to point out though.
First off, there are a lot of clashing notes, partly due to the echos lacking any detune compared to what they're echoing. Try placing a slight detune with the Pxx effect in the places where the same note is playing on multiple channels and it should sound a bit cleaner.
I also feel that the bass is too quiet, especially the triangle. You really have to listen closely to hear the bassline, which is kind of annoying. I suggest you lower the volume of the pulse channels. I also think the DPCM drums you're using are a bit muddy and a bit loud. The fact that they're so muddy makes it hard for the lower end of the bass to come through, especially on speakers.

As I said, I really like the song. You did a really good job. The melodies are great, the chords are great and the instrumentation, though simple, works really well in my opinion.

Thanks,i'll take what you said into consideration. I had a lot of trouble while making this song when i was matching the chords to the melodies so it wouldn't clash.