Battle the Machine [2A03; no DPCM]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
CodeWeaver

Battle the Machine [2A03; no DPCM]

Postby CodeWeaver » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 am

Hey, there. I'm very much a beginner to music, and when I made this song (about half a year ago), I couldn't even tell you a thing about chords. But I've been wanting to take music a bit more seriously, and I figured it would be good to get acquainted with a forum that's dedicated to my favorite tracker program. I want to hear from other perspectives. So, any input is appreciated!

I was looking for ideas for a song, and a friend suggested doing something inspired by Earthbound's "Battle Against a Machine". Hence the not-so-original name -- this is an original song, not a cover, though. The first thing I noticed is that the lead made me think of a basketball jingle. So I tried coming up with a different one, and working from there. My personal test to decide if I was happy with the result was listening to this song on loop for nearly an entire day. I didn't get sick of it, so I guess I'm happy with what turned out, but there should definitely be something to learn from! This was nothing more than me banging rocks together.

Let me know your thoughts. I'll be happy to respond to questions and the like. Also, since I am new to this forum, let me know if I have erred in formatting somehow. (I still don't quite understand the importance of .nsf files. I have the .ftm here.)
Attachments
BattleTheMachine.ftm
(6.36 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

The Caller

Re: Battle the Machine [2A03; no DPCM]

Postby The Caller » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Okay, so, this is pretty good.

I like how you use a certain melody throughout the song, and it doesn't feel repetitive. Though, one thing I have to nitpick about is that it feels somewhat empty. No background bass backing it up, nothing. And yes, I can see you wanted something robotic and lifeless, but you could still put something to back it up. Other than that, good job.

WheelInventor

Re: Battle the Machine [2A03; no DPCM]

Postby WheelInventor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:48 pm

I agree with the caller. Good song, and it conveys a specific setting well. Perhaps missing a little backing in the low end. You could try placing bass notes on 04, 0C, 14, and 1C in a pattern; it will provide a basic framework to work with without interfering with the kicks or the roboticness. Using the generic instrument works fine for this purpose. From there, you can work some rythmic variants if you want to.

Return to “Original Music”