BBLIR's random FT song thread

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
BBLIR

BBLIR's random FT song thread

Postby BBLIR » Fri May 12, 2017 5:25 pm

As the title of the thread suggest, this is a thread for me to post songs without the need to make seperate threads.
Please give feedback on these song, because I have no real music talent, and I want to improve my skills to be able to compose on my own. And don't be to harsh for that very reason. I'm still going to take negative criticism, I mean this as in expression of criticism, not as in the criticism itself.
Also, I'm not making a Discord account just for one or two pourpouses. Also, Discord is not the type of thing I enjoy being in, unless Discord has non-voice chat that I'm not aware of.
Anyway, here are the first few songs, that I made to practice using just 2a03, without expansion chips (the third one is unfinished):
Attachments
Random_Songs.ftm
(17.56 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Teuthida

Re: BBLIR's random FT song thread

Postby Teuthida » Sat May 13, 2017 3:07 am

First off, Discord has a text-chat feature, and is fact the most common use of Discord. Please learn about a program before you say things about it. Plus, it's free, so what does it matter that you only visit a few severs?

Anyway, about the pieces themselves...

Song 1: The central problem with this piece is all the note slides. While notes slides are great, yours are sliding far too much, making the song sound annoying rather than whatever mood it is you were going for. Rather than sliding 12 or even 16 semitone, stay within 1 to 4, occasionally going to 5 or 7 for accented moments. Furthermore, starting with frame 08, you forgot to cancel the Pxx effect on the 2nd Pulse channel, leading to some cringeworthy detune. That entire section is plagued with dissonance in general, so some melody changes are definitely in order.

Song 2: This one began interesting and then descended into mediocrity. The start was actually not bad, with a well used dissonance. However, that start quickly becomes worse, since it never changes for 5 frames, making it become bland. In songs that use repetition like that, the repeating part should usually have some sort of substantial variation, even if just on the backing tracks. Most of the triangle arps don't sound good either.

Song 3: I don't like to critique WIPs(since they're unfinished) but I must say that the triangle channels has serious issues.

Composition-wise, your main problem is a lack of direction. Your pieces never seem to go anywhere; there's no development or build-up whatsoever. Your other problem is an over-reliance on repetition. While repeating sections is a great tool in the hands of a skilled musician, it's important to know when to repeat and when to do something new(hint-don't repeat 6 times in a row).

Technically speaking, you need to expand your instrumentation and improve your use of effects. Except for the drums and the bass, you use the same blank instrument for everything. The NES is a powerful sound chip, why limit yourself to such a narrow set of sounds? On the bass, it's much better to use Sxx effects to separate notes instead of using an instrument. Using an instrument only causes slight delays, something you don't want in your songs. Your effects also need some serious help. You detune far too much, far too often, and you seem to forget to cancel them on multiple occasions.

All in all, you still have quite a ways to go before you can become a skilled composer. However, if you continuously try to improve and seriously work hard at it, you may have a chance of making good music.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

MagicSpider

Postby MagicSpider » Sat May 13, 2017 12:44 pm

The Caller made a good music using a lot of note slides, you should use it as an example.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3423

Right now, I'm trying to edit your music #2, this one is salvageable.
Last edited by MagicSpider on Sat May 13, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBLIR

Postby BBLIR » Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 pm

MagicSpider wrote:Right now, I'm trying to edit your music #2, this one is salvageable.

Go ahead, I'm curious what comes out. I was quite happy with how it came out, as in atmosphere.

Also, Teuthida, thank you for your feedback, I wasn't aware of some of these problems. I'll check for them when I attempt composing music. Might have some trouble with the instruments thought.

P.S.: Made a Discord account (BBLIR#2516).

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Sat May 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I'm glad I could help you out! Anyway, here is the link to the Discord sever: http://discord.gg/5x6vdSK
I also recommend downloading 0CC-FamiTracker, which can be found at http://hertzdevil.info/programs/ It is the most popular FamiTracker version as of now, and it has quite a lot of useful features. I'm very slowly making a tutorial series on the new features of 0CC, so make sure to check for that.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

BBLIR

Postby BBLIR » Sat May 13, 2017 2:50 pm

I have found the server, but thanks anyway.
I already have OCCFT, infact, these were made in OCC, but exported to vanilla because forum rules, same as my Bloody Tears remix (I'll upload OCC on Discord).
Good luck with the tutorial series, the episodes thus far have been helpful to me.

MagicSpider

Song 2 (VRC6)

Postby MagicSpider » Sat May 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Finished it.

I wanted a calmer atmosphere, less tense, so... Here we are.
Attachments
Song 2.ftm
(61.7 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

BBLIR

Re: Song 2 (VRC6)/BBLIR's random FT song thread

Postby BBLIR » Sat May 13, 2017 6:00 pm

It came out great!
The electric noise at the beggining kinda bothers me, but it still works.
Thank you.

BBLIR

BBLIR's random FT song thread: 9000's theme

Postby BBLIR » Sun May 21, 2017 3:53 pm

I remixed 9000's theme to experiment with chords and to save the song from impending doom.
Attachments
Theme 9000.ftm
(49.66 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Magdiel

Re: BBLIR's random FT song thread: 9000's theme

Postby Magdiel » Tue May 30, 2017 4:34 pm

BBLIR wrote:I remixed 9000's theme to experiment with chords and to save the song from impending doom.

While I haven't heard the original, I can say this isn't half bad. I don't exactly agree with all your choices for harmonies, but overall it's decent work. That said, remember that this is the original music board, so this doesn't really belong here.

Return to “Original Music”