BBLIR's random FT song thread

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
BBLIR

BBLIR's random FT song thread: Final Area

Postby BBLIR » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:35 pm

First off,
Magdiel wrote:
BBLIR wrote:I remixed 9000's theme to experiment with chords and to save the song from impending doom.

While I haven't heard the original, I can say this isn't half bad. I don't exactly agree with all your choices for harmonies, but overall it's decent work. That said, remember that this is the original music board, so this doesn't really belong here.

this (or these with this new one) technically does kinda belong here, since I'm covering my own songs, so it's on the line between the original and cover forums. And since I want as much of my songs organised in one thread, I decided to post them here.
Now for the meat of this post:
I decided to redo the themes for the Final Area of Mission 9000, and I tried to mix them together as best as I could. Attached below.
As for the originals, I've attached ftms with them. Also attached below.
Attachments
FinalArea.ftm
(99.39 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
9000-1.ftm
(179.58 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Magdiel

Re: BBLIR's random FT song thread: Final Area

Postby Magdiel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:38 pm

BBLIR wrote:First off,
Magdiel wrote:
BBLIR wrote:I remixed 9000's theme to experiment with chords and to save the song from impending doom.

While I haven't heard the original, I can say this isn't half bad. I don't exactly agree with all your choices for harmonies, but overall it's decent work. That said, remember that this is the original music board, so this doesn't really belong here.

this (or these with this new one) technically does kinda belong here, since I'm covering my own songs, so it's on the line between the original and cover forums. And since I want as much of my songs organised in one thread, I decided to post them here.
Now for the meat of this post:
I decided to redo the themes for the Final Area of Mission 9000, and I tried to mix them together as best as I could. Attached below.
As for the originals, I've attached ftms with them. Also attached below.

Fair enough.

Now on to these tracks. They're...meh.

They're somewhat competently made, and you've certainly learnt to use the software better, but your melodies are rather uninteresting. For a set of tracks named "Final Area", I expected something more climactic-sounding. Even the redo gets boring after a while; you rely too much on very similar, very basic melodies throughout the entire track. And while 9000's theme starts off alright, your excessive reliance on repetition makes me lose interest by Frame 09, and when the track finally does change, it has the same problems as the Final Area iterations, a lot of very similar-sounding melodies.

Now, simple melodies aren't inherently bad, but if you're going to use them all the time, you have to make up for it somewhere else. Perhaps change the chord progression, or do something interesting with the effects on the background channels, or change the tempo. Do something, is the point.

BBLIR

Re: BBLIR's random FT song thread: Final Area

Postby BBLIR » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:42 am

Magdiel wrote:They're somewhat competently made, and you've certainly learnt to use the software better, but your melodies are rather uninteresting. For a set of tracks named "Final Area", I expected something more climactic-sounding. Even the redo gets boring after a while; you rely too much on very similar, very basic melodies throughout the entire track. And while 9000's theme starts off alright, your excessive reliance on repetition makes me lose interest by Frame 09, and when the track finally does change, it has the same problems as the Final Area iterations, a lot of very similar-sounding melodies.

Now, simple melodies aren't inherently bad, but if you're going to use them all the time, you have to make up for it somewhere else. Perhaps change the chord progression, or do something interesting with the effects on the background channels, or change the tempo. Do something, is the point.

I'lll try my best to make more interesting melodies. I usually stick to simpler melodies because with complex melodies I don't know what I'm doing and I can't keep it going, leading to repetition (but that's not the only reason, of course).
I'll try to make something original next time, all redos are going to have this issue, unless I overhyul them completely.
Thank you for this feedback! I'll keep this in mind in the future.

BBLIR

Re: BBLIR's random FT song thread

Postby BBLIR » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Got something new together. Sorta.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/575b6c595 ... ictory.0cc
This song was meant to be a full, looping song, but then got stuck and decided to make it more like a jingle.
The 0CC file has two more songs, but those aren't finished and probably will never be.
Note: these were made in 0CC famitracker. If you're not ok with that, just ignore this.

Return to “Original Music”