So I've got this dilemma...

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Magdiel

So I've got this dilemma...

Postby Magdiel » Tue May 16, 2017 6:59 am

First off, hi! My name's Magdiel, as you might've guessed.

So I started using Famitracker about a week ago (was it? I'll confess I've spent a couple of sleepless nights experimenting with it, so I'm a little bit hazy) and I've arrived at a bit of a crossroads with this track I'm working on. After I finished the intro, I realized there was something making my other two pulse channels (I'm using MMC5)...loud, I guess you could call it. That's when I found out about note clashing, and that one of my channels was hitting the same notes as the other two from time to time. At first, I thought that I could fix it by lowering the volume, and sure enough it helped, but then I started looking around and learned that I could also detune the notes that clashed. So I (ab)used the Pxx command until I got the notes sounding as uniform as I could. It sounds pretty clean and I don't have to crank down the volume so much, but now it feels like something's missing. It's like the quick clashing notes added some extra punch to the chords.

And that's where I'm at. I don't exactly know which one I like better, so I'm fishing for opinions here.
Attachments
ProjectFrame01Alt.ftm
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
ProjectFrame01.ftm
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

ollaxe

Re: So I've got this dilemma...

Postby ollaxe » Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 pm

The simplest and probably best solution is to just up the octave (ctrl + F4) on the 2A03's Pulse 2 (the one next to "Triangle"). The best way to prevent note clashing is by avoiding it from the start. It sound cleaner and gives better instrument separation if you do. On top of that, having different instruments in different note ranges just sounds more well thought out overall and makes the song more enjoyable to listen to, in my opinion. This is a thing that I've only come to realize very recently, but it makes all the difference.

You may not be able to avoid all note clashes this way though. Sometimes when making music, you may want to take your melodies really high/low or your chords really low/high, and you may end up with clashing notes anyway. In this case, I'd recommend you don't go overboard with the Pxx effect (P7D-P83 is usually enough to make it sound clean, but the lesser, the better). Usually it's also a good idea to only use it on one of the clashing channels at a time.
Here's my YouTube channel, my soundcloud page and my website. Some of these are emptier than others, but still.

Magdiel

Postby Magdiel » Wed May 17, 2017 5:14 pm

ollaxe wrote:The simplest and probably best solution is to just up the octave (ctrl + F4) on the 2A03's Pulse 2 (the one next to "Triangle"). The best way to prevent note clashing is by avoiding it from the start. . .

Indeed, that did solve the issue and I agree that it helps differentiate the channels. Aside from that, I can't help but feel like the track (or at least this intro) sounds a bit... "busy". I'm not sure if it's the melody that has too much going on or if the chords in the background are too overbearing, but something's off. Does it feel like that to you?

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 am

The reason for the 'business' is your poor volume balancing. If you lower the volume of the less important parts of the piece, it will sound better.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Return to “Original Music”