[2A03] - Driller's Dream ~ Hacked Dream

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Drillimation

[2A03] - Driller's Dream ~ Hacked Dream

Postby Drillimation » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Heya drillers!

Looks like this is my first original song, and this is for an indie arcade shmup I'm making. This song is intended to be a leitmotif for a game series called Chuhou Joutai (the name translates to "the middle state"). The song title is based on the titular character, Susumu Takajima (although the characters in-game call him Driller), a hacker trying to find the information of an evil mastermind. The gameplay will be a combination of Touhou Project and Bloons Tower Defense, with the Touhou mechanic being the bullet hell-inspired patterns and the BTD mechanic being the health system and damage varying on bullet color.

In addition, the music will not just be NES by default, the music will also have the option to play it from an AdLib/SoundBlaster card or a Roland MIDI module (mainly the MT-32 and SC-55).

If there are any other original songs you want me to compose, tell me!
Attachments
Driller's Dream ~ Hacked Dream.ftm
(3 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
It's the Drillimation Guy!
Musical influences come from Skaven of Future Crew and ZUN.

Joblez_I

Re: [2A03] - Driller's Dream ~ Hacked Dream

Postby Joblez_I » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:56 pm

I'd recommend adding more of a vibrato on the lead, as it's rather harsh and makes it hard to listen to. The progression is rather flat, and overall the track just doesn't really pop or have any kind of interesting composition. I'm sad to say, but this track isn't very enjoyable to listen to overall. I'd recommend trying to learn more about music theory, or at least more about writing in keys, as the transitions between notes feel very unnatural and have a lot of dissonant tones between channels, especially the triangle channel and the pulse 1 channel.

Drillimation

Postby Drillimation » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:25 pm

I know it doesn't sound that great, as it's only the main menu theme. I know a lot about music theory through a music appreciation class I took last year, and I know almost all the keys I write in. You suggested adding more vibrato, but what things should I add or remove to make it sound better?

Magdiel

Postby Magdiel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:41 pm

The first thing I did when the lead pulse started was change the volume.

As Joblez said, the track doesn't "go anywhere'. There's no interesting progression, and your instruments are rather unpleasant. You should see if you can make longer melody loops, to keep the melody from getting repetitive too quickly. I will say that I disagree that it being the menu theme makes up for it's shortcomings. Just look at Mega Man 2 & 3, or more recently, Shovel Knight. Those themes are pretty much iconic; there's no reason as to why a main menu theme has to be uninteresting or otherwise lackluster.

I took the liberty of making a small edit to show how your melody could be spruced up near the beginning.
Attachments
Hacked Dream Edit.ftm
(5.72 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Drillimation

Postby Drillimation » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Looks better, but you made a little mistake in the second part. Apparently, you didn't close the decrescendo (A0x effect). I fixed it for you.
Attachments
Hacked Dream Edit.ftm
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Return to “Original Music”