MMPC [EDIT-FINAL Version] - Sonic Man's Stage [2a03]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
blastvortex

MMPC [EDIT-FINAL Version] - Sonic Man's Stage [2a03]

Postby blastvortex » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:00 am

For an old project that was supposed to release way back in 2008/2009, I had done this MIDI bit called "Cold Power" for Volt Man's stage that I ran through GXSCC to make sound 8-bit because I couldn't wrap my head around FamiTracker at the time. Needless to say, I can now and needed to do something a bit life-affirming through the week, and rather than finish another cover project, transcribed my own work and made several changes that I'd made ages ago in my head, reassigned it to Sonic Man like I thought it should've been, and here is the result. Hope somebody enjoys. It took me a while, but truthfully I'm surprised it didn't take me longer.

MMPC - Sonic Man Stage (FINAL).ftm
(22.43 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
^<== (VERSION 2.1A WITH TURBO HANDLING)

MMPC - Sonic Man Stage (FIXED).ftm
(22.38 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
^<== (VERSION 2.0 WITH FIXED LEADS)

MMPC 05 - Sonic Man Stage.ftm
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
^<== (OLD VERSION FOR POSTERITY. I'M A DUNCE AND NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT.)

There's a mockup video version I posted on Youtube as well (as sort of "as-if", but w/o sound effects, so more like a music video). Follow the link that follows if you dare...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxw6jN6WL_4

NOTE: The video still features the old version, but that's because I already deleted the video project file, and I'm too bloody lazy spend time on a new one.
Last edited by blastvortex on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Teuthida

Re: MMPC [UPDATE-NEW] - Sonic Man's Stage [2a03]

Postby Teuthida » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Your percussion has some serious volume balancing issues. It is far too loud, making everything else really hard to hear. Other than that, it's just not very interesting. Neither the melody or rhythm grab me, and it overall feels bland.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

blastvortex

Re: MMPC [UPDATE-NEW] - Sonic Man's Stage [2a03]

Postby blastvortex » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 am

Hmm. Mind I don't do much original work, but I do appreciate the criticism. Bland actually describes my personality pretty well (lol). My ears are usually pretty sharp, but there are issues that I do miss, and I'll have to work on the noise track issue. I was a particularly worried when I came up with the "snare echoes" idea, that it might drown out the other tracks a bit too much, and your comment pretty much cements my fears of that.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Dunno if I'll work on an updated version to publish again separately (probably not) or just keep it in mind while I focus on other tracks and reserve an updated version for later. Probably something to consider in the entire section that I was and am finishing, if and when I get to them. Thanks again. =)

[edit]
Bugger. Found the real problem. Noob mistake and surprised someone didn't give me a good slap in the face for it sooner. I'll edit the main post with a fixed version of the FTM (along with the original for posterity's sake). The two lead instruments were simply too low in set volume overall. Big flipping problem. Would've affected the whole bloody project, so thanks for noticing the inconsistency when you did. The whole thing came from how and when I learned to use FamiTracker in the first place, so... it was bound to happen sooner or later. Thanks again. Fixed version to be up soon, hopefully.

[edit 08-08-17]
Finally broke down and increased the volume on the intro and of the "background vibes". It was the only way to make it fit in with the rest of the tracks, otherwise it's just too bloody quiet and wouldn't have worked. I should have just done it in the first place. I can be really stubborn jackass sometimes. Not gonna bother to bump since it seems inconsequential at this point. It'll all be in the finished lump-NSF anyway.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Return to “Original Music”